A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 A6 3.2 oil leak test suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 A6 3.2 oil leak test suggestions

Hi I have had a nuisance oil leak in the car. I am unable to clearly determine the origin of the leak. What kind of engine dye or uv engine leak product do you guys recommend to test for the leak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Hi I have had a nuisance oil leak in the car. I am unable to clearly determine the origin of the leak. What kind of engine dye or uv engine leak product do you guys recommend to test for the leak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Saif,

Any decent repair shop will know how to do this and honestly if you don't have a lift available to you, I don't think it would be worth doing it yourself. If however, you do have access to a lift and you want to do this sort of testing this is what you do:

pour dye into oil
drive around for about 5 mins or so
lift up the car and check with UV light where the oil is coming from

FWIW, any oil dye will work that's specd for this...O'Reilly, Amazon, all are good bets to buy this from and there's no one kit better than others. All you need is the dye and a UV flashlight/bulb (to see the dye).
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Hi I have had a nuisance oil leak in the car.

Have you had the valve cover gaskets and/or the timing chain cover gasket replaced yet?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Saif,

Any decent repair shop will know how to do this and honestly if you don't have a lift available to you, I don't think it would be worth doing it yourself. If however, you do have access to a lift and you want to do this sort of testing this is what you do:

pour dye into oil
drive around for about 5 mins or so
lift up the car and check with UV light where the oil is coming from

FWIW, any oil dye will work that's specd for this...O'Reilly, Amazon, all are good bets to buy this from and there's no one kit better than others. All you need is the dye and a UV flashlight/bulb (to see the dye).
I am on amazon right now thanks!
Originally Posted by uberwgn
Have you had the valve cover gaskets and/or the timing chain cover gasket replaced yet?

Yes i changed the valve covers including the gaskets and had the timing chain covers resealed i am unaware of any gaskets that go back there because because it uses an RTV sealant i think. I have access to a lift my mechanic would be able to determine that leak problem i don't feel like paying $65 dollars for a dye to be put in the car and come back in 2 weeks for them to charge more to check the leak. Sounds like a waste of time from the dealers. But thank you very much raj for pointing me in the right direction i was hoping you give me the link as i have never done this sort of stuff before but that information is enough to find out what i need i wasn't sure if i had to wait 2 weeks lol. Didn't sound plausible to me. It's a very small leak ill post a pic of it but it's nagging me because the car needs topped of sometimes at 3500 miles since oil change.. sometimes sooner than that.

Last edited by saifxnyc; 04-17-2017 at 02:29 PM.