A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 s6 v10 fsi engine faults

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 s6 v10 fsi engine faults

I've vcds so will update .bought the car fairly cheep with a known missfire and showing a camsensor fault.
Unsure if anyone's had this fault before
I'm possibly thinking timing chains..
Miss fire possibles coil pack. Plug.or carbon build up.
(Anyone has a link I'll remove inlet to check along with a compression test .just always wanted a v10.but as this was fairly cheep I was willing take a gamble..
Any help advise would be helpful. .
As I don't really want to end up selling or breaking the car
Old 07-12-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by powernut
I've vcds so will update .bought the car fairly cheep with a known missfire and showing a camsensor fault.
Unsure if anyone's had this fault before
I'm possibly thinking timing chains..
Miss fire possibles coil pack. Plug.or carbon build up.
(Anyone has a link I'll remove inlet to check along with a compression test .just always wanted a v10.but as this was fairly cheep I was willing take a gamble..
Any help advise would be helpful. .
As I don't really want to end up selling or breaking the car
post codes asap, otherwise all we are doing is guessing. btw, if the issue is your chain guides or chains, regardless of the price you paid, you better have a warranty or be prepared to drop big $$ for and engine pull.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a bill of chains guides replaced .I'm assuming someone's tryed a repair .unless the camshafts have vvt on them ..I'll get some codes after midday .many thanks for reply
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by powernut
There's a bill of chains guides replaced .I'm assuming someone's tryed a repair .unless the camshafts have vvt on them ..I'll get some codes after midday .many thanks for reply
Without scanned codes it's all guess work, with or without receipts. Make sure you scan the appropriate blocks for timing... Do a search, since I can't recall which ones you'll need to specify.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, odoboyusa did a great write-up on a lot of the engine work he did with a 4.2, which you should be able to translate to your 5.2.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...miles-2814298/
Old 07-18-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the v10 experts hang out on AudiRevolution.

Lots of info and troubleshooting tips on misfires over there. I suggest joining AR and posting your question there for the best response.

Like the other guys said, youll need to post the codes to get anywhere. So, get your hands on a VCDS cable and pull the codes, before posting.

As a new v10 S6 owner, youll also want to check out the Info Dump

Audi C6 S6 v10 Info Dump

And, if youre into modding, my project car thread

the v10 s6 project

The v10 S6s are epic machines, so Im sure youll be very happy with it once you get the issues sorted.

BTW, every pre-owned v10 s6 (and S8) I have heard of has had a bad intake manifold, when checked. If yours has never been changed, then youll want to check that out (can cause misfires). Unfortunately, they are about $1600 to replace, until some improved version is available from the aftermarket.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by v8a6
All the v10 experts hang out on AudiRevolution.

Lots of info and troubleshooting tips on misfires over there. I suggest joining AR and posting your question there for the best response.

Like the other guys said, youll need to post the codes to get anywhere. So, get your hands on a VCDS cable and pull the codes, before posting.

As a new v10 S6 owner, youll also want to check out the Info Dump

Audi C6 S6 v10 Info Dump

And, if youre into modding, my project car thread

the v10 s6 project

The v10 S6s are epic machines, so Im sure youll be very happy with it once you get the issues sorted.

BTW, every pre-owned v10 s6 (and S8) I have heard of has had a bad intake manifold, when checked. If yours has never been changed, then youll want to check that out (can cause misfires). Unfortunately, they are about $1600 to replace, until some improved version is available from the aftermarket.
Hi v8a6,

Just a couple of things that I wanted to point out based upon your posts "All the v10 experts hang out on AudiRevolution"...really? I'd beg to differ, since there are a number of V10 owners on a number of sites which have been in existence longer than AR and not only this one, but Audizine has loads of them as well. Simply starting every response with the same old statement gets old after awhile and makes it appear that you're simply a shill for said site. The fact is that a large number of the FAQ and posts on AR are copies of what was originally posted on other sites (i.e. AudiWorld, Audizine, etc...). There is more than simply one site to rule them, and when it comes to content and IP (intellectual property), the more the better.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi v8a6,

Just a couple of things that I wanted to point out based upon your posts "All the v10 experts hang out on AudiRevolution"...really? I'd beg to differ, since there are a number of V10 owners on a number of sites which have been in existence longer than AR and not only this one, but Audizine has loads of them as well. Simply starting every response with the same old statement gets old after awhile and makes it appear that you're simply a shill for said site.
OK, please tell me who is the S6 v10 expert on this site who can help OP with his misfire issues. Give me one name and ask him to come solve OPs problems. Prove me wrong.

Here is one of your Audizine 'EXPERTS' giving advice to troubleshoot misfires...

C6 S6 Misfires

The advice of your so called Expert is to sell the car ????????????????????? That is moronic.

I told OP to join AudiRevolution, and look at the advice he is getting over there...

C6 S6 misfire

Highly skilled Techs, who happen to be v10 EXPERTS, helping out with solid advice. When the guy gets a VCDS cable, as was suggested, the troubleshooting will continue.

Look at your own advice in this thread... you point to a 4.2 link. His car has a friggin v10! There are common issues with the v10s that are not seen on the 4.2. Why would any v10 owner waste time looking at a 4.2 post when he should be researching v10 related info, and help from people who are v10 Experts

Originally Posted by raj99
The fact is that a large number of the FAQ and posts on AR are copies of what was originally posted on other sites (i.e. AudiWorld, Audizine, etc...). There is more than simply one site to rule them, and when it comes to content and IP (intellectual property), the more the better.
The v10 Info Dump I created was a culmination of information that I gathered from all over the web, filtering out all the bull**** along the way (and there was a LOT of it). Then, I added as many real world owner experiences as possible, so that we can identify every known issue with these cars, and find solutions for them. It is the SINGLE place for all the verified v10 S6 info on the web, period. Show me anywhere else that has something similar for the v10 cars?

The fact is that there were no v10 S6 Experts ANYWHERE until I purchased my car and started the info dump on AudiRevolution. People became Experts in these cars as we dove deeper and deeper into them, literally tearing my car apart in the process. On AudiWorld and Audizine, there are no v10 S6 Experts, unless they are just reading all the work that is being done on AudiRevolution.

When I got my car a year ago, there was very little in regards to aftermarket for the v10 s6, and what was available was crap. Now, in development on my car, there is a dual 3-inch exhaust, custom long tube headers, ECU and TCU tune, and a bunch of other stuff soon to be released. What has anyone around here or Audizine, or anywhere else but on AudiRevolution, done for the v10 scene??????????

I have been a member on AudiWorld since 2005 (longer than you) and on Audizine since 2010 (longer than you again) and have seen as many morons as intelligent people offering both good advice and terrible advice. Most of the time, people just open their mouth because they like to hear the sound of their own voice. Linking to a thread about a 4.2 engine when someone is asking for help troubleshooting their v10 S6, is not good advice, btw, in case you havent figured it out yet. When it comes to the v10, AudiRevolution is the place to get solid info, period.

So, stick to selling your pirated AUDI MMI dvds (which is illegal, BTW), and let the rest of us who actually know what we are talking about with the v10s offer solid advice to help v10 owners with issues and get the most performance possible out of these incredible machines.

Last edited by v8a6; 07-19-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

You see on the DVD where it says you are not allowed to reproduce???? What is your excuse stealing and selling that intellectual property? It is a clear violation of copyright law. Like f*ck, it says right on the dvd that it is illegal to copy the dvd and not to be reproduced, nevermind sell copies of it.

Last edited by v8a6; 07-19-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Panties in a bunch?

Quick Reply: 2006 s6 v10 fsi engine faults