A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2006 A6 quattro MMI problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A6 quattro MMI problems

This is my first post on audiworld. I recently purchased a 2006 A6 quattro 3.2 and am having problems with my multimedia center. I've read through a lot of forums on this topic already but I need some direction. So the screen displays the audi multimedia logo for a few seconds then fades away. The control buttons on the center console are not lit. I have checked the fuses in the trunk, under the hood, and both sides of the dash and they are all good. I removed the mmi and inspected the circuit board as my buttons are slightly sticky pushing in but they do not stay down. The circuit board appears to be okay and clean. I also checked around the amplifier and there is no sign of moisture around it. Battery is good at around 12.5 volts. I do not have vag com. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my bluetooth module replaced earlier this year - sitting in a pool of water under the driver's side carpeting. Same exact symptoms but as I recall, any failing component connected to fibre could result in the same set of symptoms.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay, tomorrow I'll check that out and let you know. Thank you for your reply!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_fer856
Okay, tomorrow I'll check that out and let you know. Thank you for your reply!
That's where I would start troubleshooting. Get yourself a MOST bypass as well. But you'll need to remove the seat (use the Search function on the forum) and the BT module is under the carpet. I bet it's wet and you'll need to hopefully dry it and it 'may' work or get a new one. Also, you'll need to address the issue of water getting in. Most likely your sunroof drains are clogged and need to be cleaned out.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Today I removed the Bluetooth module and took it apart. I noticed the slightest spot of residue but its very faint. The box the module was in is dry along with the carpeting and foam underneath. I ordered a bypass wire today and will try that in the module's place when it arrives.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Similar issue with my 2006 A6

Originally Posted by raj99
That's where I would start troubleshooting. Get yourself a MOST bypass as well. But you'll need to remove the seat (use the Search function on the forum) and the BT module is under the carpet. I bet it's wet and you'll need to hopefully dry it and it 'may' work or get a new one. Also, you'll need to address the issue of water getting in. Most likely your sunroof drains are clogged and need to be cleaned out.
I also have had terrible water leakage this summer such that it pools in the drivers side under the pedals. Now, my MMI just won't turn on and I suspect it is due to that water taking out the Bluetooth model. Where can I get a MOST bypass. And, taking the seat out is necessary, huh?

I still need to figure out where is it leaking. Its not the sunroof, I troubleshot that and it seems to drain just fine.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy Rimshuck
I also have had terrible water leakage this summer such that it pools in the drivers side under the pedals. Now, my MMI just won't turn on and I suspect it is due to that water taking out the Bluetooth model. Where can I get a MOST bypass. And, taking the seat out is necessary, huh?

I still need to figure out where is it leaking. Its not the sunroof, I troubleshot that and it seems to drain just fine.
There are literally a TON of threads on this exact issue. YES, you will need to remove the driver side seat to access to the BT module located under it. You can buy the MOST bypass via ebay Fiber Most Optical Loop Bypass Female Adaptor for Mercedes Benz BMW Audi Repair | eBay

Also, you will need to clean out the drains from your sunroof and ensure that your cowels and other areas are free of debris...use the SEARCH and you'll find detailed instructions.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, is your car is an Avant or a sedan? The water can come from your sunroof for sure but it can come from your A/C drain that goes on both side your the main console under the area where you have your air filter for the interior of your car. And if your car is an Avant, the roof bar on top of your car are bolt throught the roof and can leak too... I have an Avant and I had water leaking problem but all my drain was good. I poor water from the hose over my roof and water seem to came from the B pillar. I seal both roof bar with clear caulking and this solve this issue. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The bypass adapter came in yesterday. First, i plugged it into the Bluetooth module and nothing. Then, I plugged it into the four devices in the trunk and the radio still comes on and shuts off. What other modules are in the fiber optic loop that I need to bypass?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you have the avant or the sedan? Did you remove the optic fiber from the module and plug the bypass in the wire or into the module? I don't remember if you can plud the bypass right into the module?

Quick Reply: 2006 A6 quattro MMI problems