A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 A6 C6 - Key Safe Mode Nearly Daily!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 A6 C6 - Key Safe Mode Nearly Daily!

So the A6 sat in the driveway for about 6 months last year as I was completing a lot of overdue maintenance on it. Over the course of those months the battery became discharged despite keeping a trickle charger on it. The reality is there were several weeks I had to use the extension cord and simply forgot to plug it back in. In any case, with the battery charged, the car began not recognizing the key and displaying "safe" on the display. When this would occur I would simply disconnect the ground lead and reattach it and the ignition key would work normally. This began to occur more frequently so I replaced the battery with a brand new one from autozone as Im aware these cars are sensitive to voltage. The car is now simply not recognizing the key nearly daily (maybe 2-3 days it will retain key memory overnight) but if i let it sit for an extended period it will not recognize the key I must again disconnect the battery momentarily and reconnect. Considering I had the immobilizer unit replaced in 2015 for $3k at the dealership I simply will not put that kind of money in this car any longer if that is the culprit. So Ive cleaned the ground terminals and coated them with conductive carbon grease with no effect, new battery is show 13+ volts. No VAGCOM codes showing, dealer confirmed immbolizer is no longer under warranty. The car was purchased with a greenpower (generic) battery installed. I did not code the new battery as It didnt seem to be an issue before, code this cause this issue? Any suggestions before I finally trade this car in would be appreciated!

Last edited by mkongsiri; 03-06-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
So the A6 sat in the driveway for about 6 months last year as I was completing a lot of overdue maintenance on it. Over the course of those months the battery became discharged despite keeping a trickle charger on it. The reality is there were several weeks I had to use the extension cord and simply forgot to plug it back in. In any case, with the battery charged, the car began not recognizing the key and displaying "safe" on the display. When this would occur I would simply disconnect the ground lead and reattach it and the ignition key would work normally. This began to occur more frequently so I replaced the battery with a brand new one from autozone as Im aware these cars are sensitive to voltage. The car is now simply not recognizing the key nearly daily (maybe 2-3 days it will retain key memory overnight) but if i let it sit for an extended period it will not recognize the key I must again disconnect the battery momentarily and reconnect. Considering I had the immobilizer unit replaced in 2015 for $3k at the dealership I simply will not put that kind of money in this car any longer if that is the culprit. So Ive cleaned the ground terminals and coated them with conductive carbon grease with no effect, new battery is show 13+ volts. No VAGCOM codes showing, dealer confirmed immbolizer is no longer under warranty. The car was purchased with a greenpower (generic) battery installed. I did not code the new battery as It didnt seem to be an issue before, code this cause this issue? Any suggestions before I finally trade this car in would be appreciated!
Have you tried re-pairing the key to the vehicle after you've let it drain down? Also, it wouldn't hurt to code the battery, but doubt that has anything to do with the advanced key being recognized.

I saw in another forum something like this, but it was for an older platform:
1. Disconnect battery & connect leads with a jumper wire. Wait 5-10 minutes.
2. Reconnect battery, place key in ignition & initiate reprogramming sequence.
3. Sequence = turn key to "ON" position only, wait 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

* I also pressed the unlock buttons, both on the fob while in the ignition & the door button.
Held each for 5-10 seconds while key was "ON", both individually & together during each "on-off" sequence.