A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

08 A6S Timing Chain Tensioner(s) - How Long Until D-Day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 A6S Timing Chain Tensioner(s) - How Long Until D-Day?

This morning during cold start-up the vessel started exhibiting a loud clatter, tapping noise from the top of the engine. Oil levels OK and the noise did not go away once the vehicle got up to temperature.

Based on my searches here, on other sites, and listening to soundclips it appears that I might have the costly tensioner problem that a lot of people are experiencing/describing.

I fully realize that driving the car is not wise. Unfortunately I am in a situation where I cannot afford to fix the vehicle and i do not have alternative transportation. I realize this is not a wise move, and will further harm the vehicle, however how long could i expect to squeeze some miles out of this? The problem just started this morning with no advanced warning of any other similar noises. Probably hard to predict, but are we talking squeeze a few months? weeks? hours? Or is it likely this thing is going to give way immediately. Again, I realize this isnt wise to drive the car....i'm just in a pretty bad spot and need transportation.

Any experienced info would be super appreciated. Thanks!

2008 / A6 / 67000mi
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

My CEL came on before I had the chains, tensioners and guides replaced. Once the CEL came on I went straight to the dealer for the repair.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Flirting with disaster. Too cheap to fix it now but plenty of money to replace it once the chain jumps and the valves and pistons collide? Foolish, IMHO.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Flirting with disaster. Too cheap to fix it now but plenty of money to replace it once the chain jumps and the valves and pistons collide? Foolish, IMHO.
First, its not a matter of "Too Cheap". An unfortunate and untimely set of circumstances has put me in a position of being unable to afford the proper repair. Its a matter of "not able" to afford verses "too cheap".

Second, I understand the repercussions....I was simply looking for a timeline for potential failure.

Third, my financial situation will change dramatically in about six weeks so I am not worried about the longevity of this vehicle and I'm anxious to get upgrade to something newer and more reliable. This vehicle is a temp vehicle for me and just needing it to last 1-2 months was the intended purpose. This chain tensioner failer is untimely of epic proportions.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I suggest it, but I have been driving with an occasional rattle at start for 6 months. My rattle always goes away after a minute. Two days ago I got the CEL so I ordered the tensioners and tools online. Will cost about 700 dollars to do myself hopefully
Old 08-01-2014, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Think about a rental.

You can't afford to fix the car now, but if the engine is damaged by continuing to drive it then it will end up costing you a lot more in that your S6 won't be worth anything without a good running engine.

If you can afford a maybe a thousand dollars look into a long term rental. Call the rental car companies around you and ask what they can do for you on a 2 month rental. I've done this on long term work assignments away from home. I simply reserved an economy car and when I went to pick it up I explained that I would be in the area for awhile and asked what they could do for me to keep me with them for the duration of my business trip. Every time I did this I got a discounted rental rate and a free upgrade to full size. They went the extra mile for me when I guaranteed them my loyalty for taking care of me.

Rental car rates vary quite a bit from daily to weekly to monthly, you'd be surprised at how much cheaper the car is to rent the longer the rental term.

With the engine noise that isn't going away I'd be very scared to drive it. It might last you the 1-2 months you need or it might let loose the next time you drive it. It's a ticking time bomb at this point. You could wind up with no vehicle before you're ready to fix it or able to afford a replacement vehicle, too big of a gamble IMO.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

connect your car to a VAGCOM and look up engine measuring block value 93, it will tell you how many degrees the computer is correcting the timing of your engine, this may give you an idea of how long you have