A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

'06 A6 Avant MMI problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks a ton. That's helpful info for sure. A quick glance at the D-pillar and my amp in the back says I'm okay right now, but I'll take a more thorough look after the holidays.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New Amp Needs Reset/Programmed?

So I have a new amp on the way, finally (6 months with no audio has been not so fun).

I'm told the amp will have to be programmed by Audi. Does anyone know of another way. As I don't want to pay Audi any more money to fix their problem.

Can VagCom program it? Does it really need programmed?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Engine101
So I have a new amp on the way, finally (6 months with no audio has been not so fun).

I'm told the amp will have to be programmed by Audi. Does anyone know of another way. As I don't want to pay Audi any more money to fix their problem.

Can VagCom program it? Does it really need programmed?
The "programming" is to disable "component protection." In reality this is DRM for cars. The deal is that Audi puts a very strong password on certain components in order to force you to visit the dealer if you replace them. (Infotainment, odometer, engine, and safety) The claim is that it is to reduce the vehicle theft, but when I visited the dealer and asked if they needed a bill of sale or the old vin to verify it wasn't a stolen part they looked at me like I was crazy and said they didn't do that. Instead it's a cash grab, I got quotes from 1hr to 3hr to "program" the radio. On many forums Europeans talk about dealers charging 10€ for this, but in the states it seems it's $100 min.

Without the "programming" the only audio that works is the telephone, speech, and navigation directions. The radio may come fully on for ~10seconds when the vehicle first starts up, but it's like 1/20times and seemingly random.

Vagcom cannot do the programming, officially this is because the password needs to be looked up from an Audi server. Vag-commander can do it, but I think they reverse engineered the passwords. Presumably if you got the correct code from vag-commander you might be able to enter it with vagcom, but I'm not sure. I think vagcom is staying out of the component protection game for fear of a lawsuit. The problem is vag-commander is ~$3000 or ~$600 cloned. I called an independent audi/VW place trying to find a shop with vag-commander, ultimately leading to a locksmith who "no longer does that sort of stuff." (Vag-commander can also reprogram keys, roll back odometers, etc).

So the easiest way is call around to dealers and try to get it under an hour, and be sure to tell your friends who are buying new Audi's that DRM is jacking their service costs and killing their resale. Maybe then Audi will realize that while they might make ~$1000 in service over the life of the car, but a first buyer will lose ~$5000 in resale. (I'm not suggesting removing the computer programming just the dealer only junk).
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avant Bose Amp

$145 Charged by Criswell Audi in Annapolis, MD. In and Out of their Service Center in under 1HR. The actual procedure took only 10minutes. Pricey? ...yes... but everything functions perfectly, now.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi everyone - I am searching for a replacement amp as well. My question: I have a 2006 A6 Avant, with amp "4F0 035 223A". Does anyone know if I can replace with an amp from a different year? If i'm not mistaken, they are designated with the last letter being B thru G, instead of the "A" on my old unit. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This component protection...does anyone know if this applies to navigation units as well? If I replace my nav with one from a salvage yard will I have to go to Audi to make it function properly? Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clarklb
Hi everyone - I am searching for a replacement amp as well. My question: I have a 2006 A6 Avant, with amp "4F0 035 223A". Does anyone know if I can replace with an amp from a different year? If i'm not mistaken, they are designated with the last letter being B thru G, instead of the "A" on my old unit. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
. Mine fryed up 3 month ago. I have the same part number as your. AoA tell me to replace it with the same part number. I didn't trust theses guy so I talk with bose directly. They said I could use one with a slight difference in the letter at the end but that it. So I didn't have 600$ to spend on something that might or might not work on e-bay. So I call a salvage yard around montreal region and they find one in winnipeg. 875$ + 76$ for component protection at audi lauzon in laval. Good luck they are really hard to find....
Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clarklb
Any amp with Part# 4F0 035 223 A-Z. The Lettering are just the updated version or just say newer version. But you'll still need to take to Audi to program the amp. Some say it'll run from $87 to $150 to do so. Or just buy the same one, make sure the SW is the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A8-BOSE-STEREO-RADIO-AMP-AMPLIFIER-UNIT-4E0-035-223A-from-2006-AUDI-A8-/131134433234?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item1e8838a7d2&vxp=mtr
And make sure you fix the hose.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by eazy211187
Any amp with Part# 4F0 035 223 A-Z. The Lettering are just the updated version or just say newer version. But you'll still need to take to Audi to program the amp. Some say it'll run from $87 to $150 to do so. Or just buy the same one, make sure the SW is the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A8-BOSE...38a7d2&vxp=mtr

And make sure you fix the hose.
Thanks to the last few responses - very helpful!! So in theory, if I get the exact same model number (in my case, one ending in "A"), will it not have to be re-programmed? Or is it a DRM-type issue regardless and will have to pay a visit to an Audi dealer to work correctly?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
This component protection...does anyone know if this applies to navigation units as well?
It does not.

Quick Reply: '06 A6 Avant MMI problems