A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

yet another speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Bose systems have ten total and non-Bose have nine.

You're probably right on the radio coding too for it does allocate passive and non-passive around the amp sources and the Bose radio display code is just eye candy,
You're getting nitpicky if you count the subwoofers as two :-P Yes there are two drivers but they're in the same enclosure and right next to each other. And get fed by the same output I think? I will say that I am impressed by how much better the Bose system sounds but probably more saddened how bad the stock system sounds.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nitpicky? Naw

Originally Posted by nm3210
You're getting nitpicky if you count the subwoofers as two :-P Yes there are two drivers but they're in the same enclosure and right next to each other. And get fed by the same output I think? I will say that I am impressed by how much better the Bose system sounds but probably more saddened how bad the stock system sounds.
Factual Yes, I'm just stating the total physical speaker count.

I've had Symphony I + Bose in our 2001 and Symphony II w/sat + Bose in the current 2004, the difference between the two is an estimated 60watts +/- and the sound seems a tad bit fuller with a meager bass punch, no big deal compared to stock Infiniti systems I've heard.

Bose has never been a good subject on any audiophile forum yet I still have
a pair of 28yr old 501 series 5 home speakers with a Dayton woof up-grade and Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone still projects very pronounced and deep compared to the car? Go figure when it's Bose.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Factual Yes, I'm just stating the total physical speaker count.

I've had Symphony I + Bose in our 2001 and Symphony II w/sat + Bose in the current 2004, the difference between the two is an estimated 60watts +/- and the sound seems a tad bit fuller with a meager bass punch, no big deal compared to stock Infiniti systems I've heard.

Bose has never been a good subject on any audiophile forum yet I still have
a pair of 28yr old 501 series 5 home speakers with a Dayton woof up-grade and Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone still projects very pronounced and deep compared to the car? Go figure when it's Bose.
Still love my 501 series with the active equalizer. Using a Marantz 100w/ch RMS solid state receiver with bad monitor switches (too lazy to tear into it). Frogged out of the preamp into the active equalizer and back into the main amp...works great.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah the memories of the good old days

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Still love my 501 series with the active equalizer. Using a Marantz 100w/ch RMS solid state receiver with bad monitor switches (too lazy to tear into it). Frogged out of the preamp into the active equalizer and back into the main amp...works great.
Thats cool Sloop because when I bought the 501's way back when Marantz was my choice too Gold Series if I recall with about the same power only to be replaced with an 94 very heavy Onkyo ARV-410 amp @110watts x 2 with two channels A, B or AB combined along with a selectable 4-6-8ohm impedance switch, but my prized vintage gem to is the 1984 Marantz TT-440 linear track turn table with the new "affordable these days" p-mount audio technica stylus/cartridge, this still keeps me rockin!

Last edited by jcman; 01-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have no bose branding anywhere in the car. The subwoofer is a blaupunkt unit and all the speaker grills are black. When I unplug the wiring harness from the sub in the back only the rear speakers and sub die.

Everything so far points to a non-bose system running in bose mode. I'm going to check the coding today and see where I'm at afterwards. I'll report back what I find.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It was the coding. I re-coded to the standard non-bose setup (00007) and now everything works great and the system sounds better in general.

The coding was set to 00117 originally (bose, cd changer and front left w/phone).

for reference this is the link I used to determine the coding:
http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Bose 901's or 501's?

Thats cool Sloop because when I bought the 501's way back when Marantz was my choice too Gold Series if I recall with about the same power only to be replaced with an 94 very heavy Onkyo ARV-410 amp @110watts x 2 with two channels A, B or AB combined along with a selectable 4-6-8ohm impedance switch, but my prized vintage gem to is the 1984 Marantz TT-440 linear track turn table with the new "affordable these days" p-mount audio technica stylus/cartridge, this still keeps me rockin!
I believe the 901's were the speakers that had an eq and took lots of power. This was necessary because the "901" meant 9 speakers or drivers (8 pointing toward the wall and 1 pointing forward)and 1 equalizer. The eq was necessary because the drivers were all the same 4" size and it required boosting both the bass and the treble to get the speaker to sound reasonable. They were to be set up with the speakers in corners or at least backed up to a wall for the "Direct Reflect" to work. Originally sold with trumpet shaped pedestals for the speakers. The Bose 501's were the much smaller "bookshelf" speakers that did not have an eq.

Bose' claim was not necessarily audio sound reproduction accuracy, rather the experience.

Last edited by clancy; 01-15-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You're right...the active equalizer says 901 Series V.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bookshelf speakers?

Originally Posted by clancy
I believe the 901's were the speakers that had an eq and took lots of power. This was necessary because the "901" meant 9 speakers or drivers (8 pointing toward the wall and 1 pointing forward)and 1 equalizer. The eq was necessary because the drivers were all the same 4" size and it required boosting both the bass and the treble to get the speaker to sound reasonable. They were to be set up with the speakers in corners or at least backed up to a wall for the "Direct Reflect" to work. Originally sold with trumpet shaped pedestals for the speakers. The Bose 501's were the much smaller "bookshelf" speakers that did not have an eq.

Bose' claim was not necessarily audio sound reproduction accuracy, rather the experience.
301's maybe not 501 series 5's, mine are direct reflecting to add with no Bose EQ.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 01-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep 301s were the bookshelf speakers. Totally forgot about the 501s. My old age is showing. Thanks for correcting me.

Quick Reply: yet another speaker issue