A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Yet another newby thread about changing transmission fluid. Sorry, guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another newby thread about changing transmission fluid. Sorry, guys

At least I did my homework and read a bunch of old ones, thereby reducing the number of annoying questions to bother y'all with.

I'll make it quick. Just inherited 2000 A6 2.8 with ~170k miles from my aunt. Trans shift ok, but sorta hunts/jerks/feels uneven when trying to keep a steady speed around 30-40 mph. And makes that burnt tranny smell. I want to go ahead and risk it and change fluid. I know it "might" be too late, but if I wait it definitely "will" be.

I can not even remotely afford a to have a dealer do it, so I will do it myself. Luckily I have been fixing cars and computers for 15 years, so no problem. I found a guy in Palo Alto who rents the vag-com cable for a few bucks a day. My only questions are these:
1: Can I use any of the ATF fluids available at a local Autozone? I know Audi fluid is recommended but it is retardedly expensive for no reason beside that it's Audi. These are the people who tried to charge me $400 for an oil pan couple of weeks ago (a simple two pound piece of aluminum, available at NAPA for a moderately overpriced $120). And I don't have time to wait for the online-only brand to get here, need to do the job today-ish. I saw Mobil 1 Synthetic mentioned. Any thoughts?
2: The hand pump / injector thingity for getting the fluid in. I talked to the lady at Autozone and she had no idea what I was talking about. What is the usual name for that thing? Seems like a common item, maybe I'm just miscommunicating.

Well that's about it, unless I'm missing anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SevaA6
At least I did my homework and read a bunch of old ones, thereby reducing the number of annoying questions to bother y'all with.

I'll make it quick. Just inherited 2000 A6 2.8 with ~170k miles from my aunt. Trans shift ok, but sorta hunts/jerks/feels uneven when trying to keep a steady speed around 30-40 mph. And makes that burnt tranny smell. I want to go ahead and risk it and change fluid. I know it "might" be too late, but if I wait it definitely "will" be.

I can not even remotely afford a to have a dealer do it, so I will do it myself. Luckily I have been fixing cars and computers for 15 years, so no problem. I found a guy in Palo Alto who rents the vag-com cable for a few bucks a day. My only questions are these:
1: Can I use any of the ATF fluids available at a local Autozone? I know Audi fluid is recommended but it is retardedly expensive for no reason beside that it's Audi. These are the people who tried to charge me $400 for an oil pan couple of weeks ago (a simple two pound piece of aluminum, available at NAPA for a moderately overpriced $120). And I don't have time to wait for the online-only brand to get here, need to do the job today-ish. I saw Mobil 1 Synthetic mentioned. Any thoughts?
2: The hand pump / injector thingity for getting the fluid in. I talked to the lady at Autozone and she had no idea what I was talking about. What is the usual name for that thing? Seems like a common item, maybe I'm just miscommunicating.

Well that's about it, unless I'm missing anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Your best bet is to buy a kit with a new pan gasket, filter, fluid and the pump. Blau has a good one.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-B

Also make an extension with a hook like this to make it way easier to get the necessary amount of fluid in. The kits also come with instructions which are critical to follow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Huskerbob; 02-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Mr. Husker. Thanks for your reply. The product is reasonably priced and the hook tip will be appreciated. However, for a number of reasons I am unable to utilize anything only available online, not the least of them being that I need to replace the fluid today rather than 2 weeks from now. Hence, my resources are limited to the local auto parts store and my own tools and ingenuity. And of course whatever advice you guys can help out with.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm sure that there is a good foreign autoparts place on the Peninsula that stocks the Audi trans fluid and gasket. It may save you time, but will cost you money over the online vendors.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

And, by the way, for the most part, your days of buying cheap parts at Autozone or Kragen are gone bye bye...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
And, by the way, for the most part, your days of buying cheap parts at Autozone or Kragen are gone bye bye...
Hey now, AutoZone stocks a ~$169 battery that works with the A6 :P
Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

okay so if i understand .....

1. you got given a car
2. you want it fixed today ...
3. You dont want to pay premium prices to fix it today
4. You want it cheaper and can get it but dont want to wait .
5. You are given advice on how to do it but want it faster and cheaper .

Ypu know what they say , Fast cheap and Good .. you can have any 2 out of 3.

I dont think the relationship with your Audi is going to last long.

Good luck .
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SevaA6
Hi Mr. Husker. Thanks for your reply. The product is reasonably priced and the hook tip will be appreciated. However, for a number of reasons I am unable to utilize anything only available online, not the least of them being that I need to replace the fluid today rather than 2 weeks from now. Hence, my resources are limited to the local auto parts store and my own tools and ingenuity. And of course whatever advice you guys can help out with.
Why today? If you're not going to drop the pan and change the filter you might as well just let it go. Some guys pull the drain plug and then replace what little fluid drains out. Accomplishes nothing in my estimation. Either wait and do it right or just drive it. It won't blow up, probably.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag

I dont think the relationship with your Audi is going to last long.

It won't blow up probably.

Good luck .
I just love noob threads. They Bring a smile to my face after reading about all the real and serious car issues from owners that respect and care about Audis.

Too bad his Aunt did not leave OP a Dodge Dart. Would have fit in nicely at Autozone.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I feel your pain

Nothing is cheep or eezy on an Audi. You can order the needed fluids at O'reilly's. Ask for a suction gun while you are there. Audi ATF might be cheeper at the deeler counter, but not if you have to drive a hundred miles to get there.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2547&ppt=C0207

If you can't afford the right fluid, drive it 'til it bloes or sell it "as-is" with a smile on your face.

Good Luck
Steve

Quick Reply: Yet another newby thread about changing transmission fluid. Sorry, guys