A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What is different about the Valet Key?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is different about the Valet Key?

I bought a used 2001 A6 4.2. I have the valet key, and I have key fob remote without the original key that is supposed to be on the end.

I have a new blank key and remote shell - I can easily swap the parts with the working remote, but I am not sure how to have they key cut. There seems to be something about the very end of the valet key that prevents it from inserting into the trunk or glove box.

Does anyone have both their Valet key and original key for comparison?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The valet key doesn't unlock the trunk, seat locks and glove box. Only unlocks the doors and can be used to start the car, so that a valet can't get into your glove box and trunk.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default I mean how is it different mechanically? How is it cut?

Originally Posted by superswiss
The valet key doesn't unlock the trunk, seat locks and glove box. Only unlocks the doors and can be used to start the car, so that a valet can't get into your glove box and trunk.
Sorry, maybe my question was not clear. I understand the valet key will not open the trunk, but it is because the valet key will not even insert into the trunk or glovebox... whereas (for example) the key from my other Audi will insert, but of course will not turn the lock.

The question is: what part of the key prevents it from inserting into the trunk? The blank original keys are identical in design to the valet key. The grooves and shape of the blank is identical. Obviously the difference is in the way the key is cut. I suspect it might be as simple as cutting away or not cutting away a small section of the key at the end. I can see that my A8 key has most of the material cut away for the first 5 or 6mm, which I believe allows it to insert into the trunk of my A6, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have both their valet key and original key so that I could see the difference?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Good question. I took my primary key and my valet key out to my car and verified that the valet key would not fit into the slot for the trunk.

The main shaft of the key is 3.00 mm thick for both keys. The keys are cut exactly the same (needs to, or the driver door lock and the ignition lock would not work). The difference is on the edge of the key. On the primary key, there is a shelf cut that leaves a ridge of 1.50 mm (about 50 percent of the thickness of the shaft) On the valet key, the ridge is 2.29 mm (about 76 percent of the thickness).

I wanted to post a picture of the difference, but I don't have a camera that shows the distinction clearly.

Hope this helps...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:27 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the explanation. I can see it now that I look at them both more closely. So, I think I can simply have the valet key copied and cut on the regular blank. I'll let you know. Thanks for the information.