A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Using Rainx in your washer tank?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Rainx in your washer tank?

Might want to check this link out. I've been using the winter formula for years because it really works well with ice on the windshield. Usually use it year round (have been for years), but ran out and put the summer 2+2 formula in the C6 about 3 months back. Sure enough, low washer fluid light is on all the time now. I thought I might have a leak in the tank when I found some on the ground. Pulled the inner fender shield off today and what do you know, tank is full. Coincidentally, passenger side jets became plugged. Folks might want to read this link.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...with-full-tank
Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
Might want to check this link out. I've been using the winter formula for years because it really works well with ice on the windshield. Usually use it year round (have been for years), but ran out and put the summer 2+2 formula in the C6 about 3 months back. Sure enough, low washer fluid light is on all the time now. I thought I might have a leak in the tank when I found some on the ground. Pulled the inner fender shield off today and what do you know, tank is full. Coincidentally, passenger side jets became plugged. Folks might want to read this link.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...with-full-tank
Been using rain-ex brand w/s washer fluid for many years. No problem. Pouring straight rain-ex into the washer bottle, not so much.

Gotta admit not using te orange stuff...I also put 90% isopropyl alcohol in the tank in winter..cleans windshield of muck and diesel slobber

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Been using rain-ex brand w/s washer fluid for many years. No problem. Pouring straight rain-ex into the washer bottle, not so much.

Gotta admit not using te orange stuff...I also put 90% isopropyl alcohol in the tank in winter..cleans windshield of muck and diesel slobber
So have I in all my cars - most still have the de-icer version left over. But C6 is the first time I've ever put in 2 in 1 and the color was darker than usual. I'm running it in 4 other cars without a problem, but again it is de-icer. I'm going to flush the system with dish detergent or salt water and we'll see what happens. Google "Rainx washer fluid sensor" and look at the feedback - Dodge, Audi, VW, BMW... All the complaints are from late 2013 to current. I'm going to check with the dealer just to see what they say. But the stuff has been great for me over the years in winter.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting. How much alcohol do you put in the tank?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thall6594
That's interesting. How much alcohol do you put in the tank?
Years ago I got a bottle of genyuwine Audi or BMW windshield washer fluid, lavaglace or some such.
Smelled like isopropyl alcohol, ammonia, and had some detergent in it. I made my own stuff with 90% isopropyl alcohol (one quart), one quart of water, a couple tablespoons of ammonia and a tablespoon of simple green. For all I could tell when it sprayed it was identical to the expensive stuff. It also didn't leave marks on the paint like it was leaching off wax but then I probably over wax anyway. That's about -21F freeze and only 65F flashpoint…so don't get it on anything!! Still, I wonder what the flash point of the -xxF stuff you buy at the store is…hmmm, lab test…or just put a bowl of it in the driveway at 80-90F and see if a BBQ lighter lights it.

These days I just dump a pint of isopropyl alcohol into the washer bottle along with a gallon of whatever bug juice I'm using in the summer or deicer in the winter.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I've had to clean the nozzles repeatedly because they get plugged on the C5, but I never associated it with the Rainx winter formula. But I put the new summer formula in the C6 and low washer fluid light will not go off. Apparently, Rainx is aware (it supposedly on their facebook page - haven't checked). One of their solutions is to put in some dish washing soap and water in the tank. So I emptied the tank and put Dawn and water in it. No low fluid light (cleans the windshield great except for all the bubbles). Flushed the tank and filled with plain water. Light back on. Put some more Dawn in, light off.

Haven't confirmed, but apparently VW manuals (newer models) warn against using it and will not cover repairs under warranty. I'll give Audi a call tomorrow to see what they say. Meanwhile, solutions include add vinegar, salt, or alcohol to help clean the sensor. Tablespoon of salt seems to be the most widely recommended.

I try to keep it full if the car goes to Audi for an oil change because the blue stuff they put in has frozen on me during the winter.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ajg617
I've had to clean the nozzles repeatedly because they get plugged on the C5, but I never associated it with the Rainx winter formula. But I put the new summer formula in the C6 and low washer fluid light will not go off. Apparently, Rainx is aware (it supposedly on their facebook page - haven't checked). One of their solutions is to put in some dish washing soap and water in the tank. So I emptied the tank and put Dawn and water in it. No low fluid light (cleans the windshield great except for all the bubbles). Flushed the tank and filled with plain water. Light back on. Put some more Dawn in, light off.

Haven't confirmed, but apparently VW manuals (newer models) warn against using it and will not cover repairs under warranty. I'll give Audi a call tomorrow to see what they say. Meanwhile, solutions include add vinegar, salt, or alcohol to help clean the sensor. Tablespoon of salt seems to be the most widely recommended.

I try to keep it full if the car goes to Audi for an oil change because the blue stuff they put in has frozen on me during the winter.
Years ago I had problems with Saab and Volvo nozzles...went away with inline filters. Blue stuff can be contaminated...used to come from dry cleaning fluid and has fibers in it.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Now that's interesting. I always thought their fluid was far superior to the blue stuff, and yes, it pretty much smelled like alcohol.

G
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
Now that's interesting. I always thought their fluid was far superior to the blue stuff, and yes, it pretty much smelled like alcohol.

G
So did I. Have used it for years but the made a formula change - not sure it it affects the winter blend but it does affect the summer blend. Normally I run the winter blend all year round since it does what I need it to. Running a mixture of alcohol and dawn dish detergent in my C6 for a week now to see if it will clean the sensor. Big test comes tomorrow when I drain it and re-fill with cheap alcohol cleaner - to rain dispersant.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick fix for poor souls who suffered from evil Rain-X. Go to nearest pharmacy, buy two 22 oz bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Empty your washer fluid reservoir by constantly running the pump for 2 min. Pour both bottles of rubbing alcohol into reservoir. Put a few drops of dishwasher soap in each empty bottle, fill with hot water (I used my instant hot water faucet in the kitchen) - be careful, use thick gloves. Add hot water/soap mix into the reservoir. Drive around a bit to have it mixed, spray windshield (and back window if Avant) for a few seconds until Rain-X stops coming out and your clean soapy mix starts spraying and leave your car for an hour. The light will be gone by then. Use the soapy mix as usual washer fluid (if summer) or drain it immediately (if winter) then re-fill with blue liquid, or any Prestone brand washer fluid. God luck and good speed.

Rosty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Rainx in your washer tank?