A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Problems Transmission in Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Problems Transmission in Limp Mode

Name:  DSC05720.jpg
Views: 12339
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  DSC05721.jpg
Views: 12281
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  DSC05726.jpg
Views: 10106
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  DSC05727.jpg
Views: 21120
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  DSC05911.jpg
Views: 18980
Size:  101.1 KB

My Transmission would not shift into gear, time after time it went into Limp mode, What I found out was one thing I will never forget about a Audi Transmission. When they say you need to change your fluid at the recommended mileage do it not one mile over. I will show you pics of what my transmission looked like still driving in Limp mode. This will be one of 2 treads
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 5HP24A Audi Valve Body Insides

Here is my Audi A8 Valve body, the outside looked as if all I need was a filter change, but when I open up the valvebody, it was another world of problems, sometimes if you get a transmission solenoid code, that your solenoid is bad does not mean that your solenoid must be replaced. they are expense and we all want to know how they work, so I took mine apart and here is what I saw. First of all because the solenoid screen was clogged, it caused the valve body sensor/ controller to burnout, this does not always show up on your computer as a first look, you have to take the valve body out of the transmission and inspect it yourself. the code will always show the solenoid first. Secondly if the fluid is changes when it suppose to be , this problem may not occur. So before you buy a transmission like I did this is just another step you can take to finalize your decision on buying a new one I hope this helps everyone to take care of there Master piece
Attached Images      
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

So…did you just clean the valve body/screen and replace the controller/sensor or need a new transmission?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi1969
Here is my Audi A8 Valve body, the outside looked as if all I need was a filter change, but when I open up the valvebody, it was another world of problems, sometimes if you get a transmission solenoid code, that your solenoid is bad does not mean that your solenoid must be replaced. they are expense and we all want to know how they work, so I took mine apart and here is what I saw. First of all because the solenoid screen was clogged, it caused the valve body sensor/ controller to burnout, this does not always show up on your computer as a first look, you have to take the valve body out of the transmission and inspect it yourself. the code will always show the solenoid first. Secondly if the fluid is changes when it suppose to be , this problem may not occur. So before you buy a transmission like I did this is just another step you can take to finalize your decision on buying a new one I hope this helps everyone to take care of there Master piece
Wow…that big filter didn't do much good, did it? That stuff should not have got into the valve body…design flaw?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The transmission worked fine and there was no need to rebuild
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bummer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Wow…that big filter didn't do much good, did it? That stuff should not have got into the valve body…design flaw?
Well, that's just what I wanted to see as I come out of a 2 month perfect streak. I am about to replace my transmission pan, and do the necessary filter/seals/service. Took a chunk of concrete in morning rush hour the other day with no choice but to try and straddle it, and WHAMMO! My heart breaks again after 2 months of absolute perfect performance out of dein Audi. Then read this and see what I am just praying no to see when i open her up. I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue/drinking coffee/smoking cigarettes…………

Is there something odd with the design or mating surfaces of the filter that you know of sloop? Or am i better off selling this filter and shoving my dirty undies in there? Could really use a use for them anyways.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi1969
The transmission worked fine and there was no need to rebuild
That is effing outstanding!!! I haven't popped a valve body since I put in a trans-go kit on my ex girlfriend's 74 Corvette. I hate those little ***** on GM valve bodies…you either have a picture of where they go or yřu hope to hell they stayed where they're supposed to when you drop the valve body on a turbo-hydramatic.

Are there little ***** to worry about on the ZF valve body? I'm thinking perhaps the transmission fluid and filter change evolution needs to include dropping the valve body and cleaning that little screen?

Did you have to replace the sensor too?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nialist
Well, that's just what I wanted to see as I come out of a 2 month perfect streak. I am about to replace my transmission pan, and do the necessary filter/seals/service. Took a chunk of concrete in morning rush hour the other day with no choice but to try and straddle it, and WHAMMO! My heart breaks again after 2 months of absolute perfect performance out of dein Audi. Then read this and see what I am just praying no to see when i open her up. I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue/drinking coffee/smoking cigarettes…………

Is there something odd with the design or mating surfaces of the filter that you know of sloop? Or am i better off selling this filter and shoving my dirty undies in there? Could really use a use for them anyways.
Dunno. But it sounds like a valve body removal and service is in order as well. I'm going to ask 4D4 what he thinks...
Old 06-15-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

well the thing about changing the filter, is that the valve body from the bottom always looks clean, if you look closely at my pictures, you will see that it is no way you should not want to clean out the valve body, and solenoid screens. It only takes another 2.5 hours which could save you a transmission, and you never know how or what is in the valvebody
Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having tranny issues as we speak

did you show any codes? I had some prior issues with the tranny acting funny while stopped. then Sat night got in the car from dinner with the family started it up, and not touching a thing car clunked like it was grinding into gear. Drove home fine.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems Transmission in Limp Mode