A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

very hot front wheel

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very hot front wheel

I have a right hand drive 2002 avant 1.9 tdi 130bhp 5 speed sport susp. The front passenger wheel gets hot after a drive,Caliper even hotter. This has being happening for over three years.The pads in that side would also be more worn than the other side. I have chaged the pads then the flex pipes on both sides and lately the caliper but the same problem remains.My wife drives the car herself and see did say to me that she has noticed at times the car pulling to the left when driving.I have driven the car with this hot and jammed on the brake peddal and the car stops on a straight line.What I do know is the pads are coming in contact with the disc and this is leading to the overheating. You would not be able to keep your hand on the wheel. The car has done 143000 miles it has 16" wheels all the other three wheels are nice and cool. I find the brakes quite grabby I drive a 2007 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel and those are not grabby. One question I have is the ESP or other electronic controller causing this problem ?. One other thing the car drops out of cruise control at times on it own this might explain some of the issues.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would start with basics.

1. are the pads installed correctly. Yes, they can be slightly out of square, i've seen it
2. are the calipers sticking ( i bet yes). They may need to be over-hauled

I don't know what flex pipes are. do you meant he flexible brake lines? When you did that might you have buggered something? I prefer not to touch them if they show no signs of deterioration.

ABS certainly COULD cause this, but without a code, i doubt it is your culprit.

I suspect a piston is not retracting.

Grant
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by get a6 to 14 years
I have a right hand drive 2002 avant 1.9 tdi 130bhp 5 speed sport susp. The front passenger wheel gets hot after a drive,Caliper even hotter. This has being happening for over three years.The pads in that side would also be more worn than the other side. I have chaged the pads then the flex pipes on both sides and lately the caliper but the same problem remains.My wife drives the car herself and see did say to me that she has noticed at times the car pulling to the left when driving.I have driven the car with this hot and jammed on the brake peddal and the car stops on a straight line.What I do know is the pads are coming in contact with the disc and this is leading to the overheating. You would not be able to keep your hand on the wheel. The car has done 143000 miles it has 16" wheels all the other three wheels are nice and cool. I find the brakes quite grabby I drive a 2007 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel and those are not grabby. One question I have is the ESP or other electronic controller causing this problem ?. One other thing the car drops out of cruise control at times on it own this might explain some of the issues.
Bad caliper one way or another. It's a floating caliper so remove it and ensure the guide pins are clean and lubricated. Blow the piston out and clean the cylinder and piston and replace the seal and dust boot. Depending on what you find, consider doing the other calipers as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Bad caliper one way or another. It's a floating caliper so remove it and ensure the guide pins are clean and lubricated. Blow the piston out and clean the cylinder and piston and replace the seal and dust boot. Depending on what you find, consider doing the other calipers as well.
was the caliper you put in new or from a wreckers ?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
Wasn't me...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

oh right ... sorry , was for the OP .. guess the thread ***** will be on me now
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I have got the caliper replaced and the same problem is still there.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Hi, It is a new one.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
I would start with basics.

1. are the pads installed correctly. Yes, they can be slightly out of square, i've seen it
2. are the calipers sticking ( i bet yes). They may need to be over-hauled

I don't know what flex pipes are. do you meant he flexible brake lines? When you did that might you have buggered something? I prefer not to touch them if they show no signs of deterioration.

ABS certainly COULD cause this, but without a code, i doubt it is your culprit.

I suspect a piston is not retracting.

Grant

Hi, it is only happening to the front left caliper and I have changed this but the same problem is still there. The flex pipes are the ones on to the wheel hub. All work is carried out by my local garage.I have had the car with a audi dealer and they wanted to strip the car and replace every thing..... I ran away.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by get a6 to 14 years
Hi, it is only happening to the front left caliper and I have changed this but the same problem is still there. The flex pipes are the ones on to the wheel hub. All work is carried out by my local garage.I have had the car with a audi dealer and they wanted to strip the car and replace every thing..... I ran away.
If the caliper is new and everything else at the wheel is working correctly and the rotor is the correct one then I think you need to go back upstream in the hydraulics. Maybe the ABS module?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: very hot front wheel