A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sweet Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any pink residue anywhere. The only leak I have is coming from the circled area.

Sweet Coolant Smell-ij8i64w.jpg

There was some on the bottom which is where the leak is coming from. The fluid is pink, but I think it is motor mount fluid. What is over there that could be leaking?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

so if i understand this correctly ....

you smell coolant ..
you notice your pink coolant is going down ..
you refuill it and you see your pink fluid still going down
you see Pink Fluid at the bottom of your car
and you think it is motor mount fluid ..
hmmmmm.....

gotta think it is coolant after it has run past all the oily bits..
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
so if i understand this correctly ....

you smell coolant ..
you notice your pink coolant is going down ..
you refuill it and you see your pink fluid still going down
you see Pink Fluid at the bottom of your car
and you think it is motor mount fluid ..
hmmmmm.....

gotta think it is coolant after it has run past all the oily bits..
The reason I think it is motor mount fluid is because I have been leaking motor mount fluid for a while now, and only recently noticed my coolant level.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Just had mine snap on the weekend... pissed me off to no end .. especially after i drove acoss town for a replacement and dropped it in the engine bay ... gone forever .. across town for another .. ..

OP i think if you smell it near the engine you definitely have an external leak .. you just have to keep ooking . If you smell it up front thts where it is .. have someone rev the engine while you are up front looking ( be carefull ) this will kick the water pump into high speed and you may see something.
Seems to happen when I release the expansion tank and swing it up to get to the back two spark plugs on my V8. Just happened today. And that little hose from the expansion tank to the T? $86 list but google the p/n and you can get it for like $45-50. The damn audi T is like $14 at the dealer or you can wait a few days and get it online.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Seems to happen when I release the expansion tank and swing it up to get to the back two spark plugs on my V8. Just happened today. And that little hose from the expansion tank to the T? $86 list but google the p/n and you can get it for like $45-50. The damn audi T is like $14 at the dealer or you can wait a few days and get it online.
wow .... got a vacuum T for 5 bucks to get me running.. another thing to grab the next time at the wreckers ... and lets face it ,.. it wont be long
Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You could kluge a tester using a MityVac if you have one for brake fluid flushing or bleeding. They have pressure and vacuum ports…just clamp the mityvac pressure port into the expansion tank tubing and cap the expansion tank port and pressurize to 15-20psi or whatever is printed on the reservoir cap. This also has the advantage of testing the pressure cap...

Stahl makes a pressure tester. The only problem is you'll need to buy the adapter(s) for your coolant reservoir and reservoir cap. They're not cheap (ask me how I know this). I have a kit that I've had since the 70s and only had to buy the adapters. FWIW, the adapter for the reservoir cap was more expensive than simply replacing the cap….

Here's one source for automotive cooling system pressure testers…
http://www.etoolcart.com/pressuretesters.aspx

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 05-30-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow .... got a vacuum T for 5 bucks to get me running.. another thing to grab the next time at the wreckers ... and lets face it ,.. it wont be long
I also could have purchased a plastic vacuum tee for even less…like $1.88 at Advance auto…and that would have got me back on the road for an undetermined amount of time. However, I looked at the vacuum tee and it was about ˝ the wall thickness of the audi part and made of an indeterminate plastic that may or may not survive the under hood hot coolant environment. (Although the OEM tee wasn't that good either!) In any case, the vacuum tee appeared weaker than a new OEM tee and would likely have broken the next time I moved the reservoir.

The best solution would have been to install a brass tee, but I couldn't find one quickly and I didn't want to kludge one with a triple female thread and three male threaded adapters. That would have probably worked out to $20 worth of brass at Home Depot.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could kluge a tester using a MityVac if you have one for brake fluid flushing or bleeding. They have pressure and vacuum ports…just clamp the mityvac pressure port into the expansion tank tubing and cap the expansion tank port and pressurize to 15-20psi or whatever is printed on the reservoir cap. This also has the advantage of testing the pressure cap...

Stahl makes a pressure tester. The only problem is you'll need to buy the adapter(s) for your coolant reservoir and reservoir cap. They're not cheap (ask me how I know this). I have a kit that I've had since the 70s and only had to buy the adapters. FWIW, the adapter for the reservoir cap was more expensive than simply replacing the cap….

Here's one source for automotive cooling system pressure testers…
http://www.etoolcart.com/pressuretesters.aspx
Ahh I'd be better off bringing it to the shop and having it done for that price...
Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thall6594
Ahh I'd be better off bringing it to the shop and having it done for that price...
The kluge or the stahl tester? Kluge is free. LOL!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

The kluge or the stahl tester? Kluge is free. LOL!
I don't have any of those tools laying around. I'm only just starting to do my own work lol.

Quick Reply: Sweet Coolant Smell