A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

99 A6, slow crank/no spark after motor swap

Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 A6, slow crank/no spark after motor swap

I had a previous thread started but i veered off from the original topic so I'm building a new one highlighting my current issues. Back story:

Bought a 99 A6 Quattro knowing it would need a motor. The engine would still crank and try to fire but internals were too far gone to run. I bought a used motor with 130k to replace. I made the mistake of installing the torque converter on the motor then installing, instead of leaving the t/c in the trans. I did crank the car a few times like this but it would barely move and after i heard a clunking sound i instantly stopped. Removed the motor, installed the torque converter properly seating the two tabs on the snout, then re-installed the motor. The torque converter would spin freely with the motor installed. I had just enough hooked up to be able to run the motor (the front end is still off, no accessories installed, no exhaust..). On the next attempt after putting the motor back in, i carelessly reversed my jumper cables. Of course the radio fuses blew, but not sure if any other damage has occured. When trying to start, it rolls over extremely slow. It's building compression as you can hear it pop out the exhaust, but its just moving waaaay too slow. I also have no spark. There is power to the ignition coils. Where do I go from here? I'm pretty certain the t/c and everything is installed correctly. I can't figure out why it's cranking so slow. I've tried starting in neutral, and without any spark plugs, but the result is the same. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k3s2k
I had a previous thread started but i veered off from the original topic so I'm building a new one highlighting my current issues. Back story:

Bought a 99 A6 Quattro knowing it would need a motor. The engine would still crank and try to fire but internals were too far gone to run. I bought a used motor with 130k to replace. I made the mistake of installing the torque converter on the motor then installing, instead of leaving the t/c in the trans. I did crank the car a few times like this but it would barely move and after i heard a clunking sound i instantly stopped. Removed the motor, installed the torque converter properly seating the two tabs on the snout, then re-installed the motor. The torque converter would spin freely with the motor installed. I had just enough hooked up to be able to run the motor (the front end is still off, no accessories installed, no exhaust..). On the next attempt after putting the motor back in, i carelessly reversed my jumper cables. Of course the radio fuses blew, but not sure if any other damage has occured. When trying to start, it rolls over extremely slow. It's building compression as you can hear it pop out the exhaust, but its just moving waaaay too slow. I also have no spark. There is power to the ignition coils. Where do I go from here? I'm pretty certain the t/c and everything is installed correctly. I can't figure out why it's cranking so slow. I've tried starting in neutral, and without any spark plugs, but the result is the same. Thanks in advance.
Remove the starter and check the brushes, starter operation off the car?
Replace the start if it checks out bad?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The starter appears to be ok. Testing on the bench it's zinging. Took it to autozone to test in their machine and everything checked out. So I don't believe it's the starter. If you unbolt the flywheel you can easily turn the torque converter by hand. So i'm not sure what's holding it up. Someone had suggested I unbolt the flywheel and then hit the key to see how quickly the t/c turns, to eliminate or nail it as the cause for the slow crank. Is this safe to do?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The starter appears to be ok. Testing on the bench it's zinging. Took it to autozone to test in their machine and everything checked out. So I don't believe it's the starter. If you unbolt the flywheel you can easily turn the torque converter by hand. So i'm not sure what's holding it up. Someone had suggested I unbolt the flywheel and then hit the key to see how quickly the t/c turns, to eliminate or nail it as the cause for the slow crank. Is this safe to do?
At this point I would check for voltage drop across the cable to the starter. First check for full voltage at the starter..it should be 13+ volts when the starter is hit. Then check for voltage drop...Put a voltmeter probe on the + terminal at the battery and the other probe of the voltmeter at the starter end of the starter cable. When you hit the starter the cable will draw a bunch of current and by Ohm's law, V=IR, where V will be the voltage drop across the cable. If that voltage drop is more than .9 volt, replace the cable or clean and retighten the connections.
Alternatively, use a jumper cable direct to the starter to see if starter speed is normal.

Here's more:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/bad_s...ar_tests_3.php
Old 06-22-2014, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's strange that audi has the ring gear on the TC…most drivelines use a flex plate/ring gear bolted to the crankshaft and then the flex plate is bolted to the TC….in which case unbolting the TC would just spin the flex plate and the engine, not the TC. If you can easily turn the TC it's not the issue.