A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Hello people,
I have questions regarding the Steering Wheel Audio Controls. They are not working all of a sudden 2 months ago, and I believe it is the relay (maybe) so I want to see if any of you guys have tips on where and how I can fix it.

Some background info:
1) 6 months ago, I wired the fog light fuses so I can have the fog lights turn on without the headlight is turn on. I do that with my other A6 for 3 years now, so it works great!
2) 3 months ago, NY is pretty cold, and all of a sudden the signal lights, wipers stopped working. And I found in the forum that it is related to the relay under the steering wheel area. And that solved the problem. (the funny thing is, with the fog lights wiring, if I turn on the headlights, the signal lights and wipers works right away)
3) 2.5 months ago, before I fixed the signal lights and wipers relay, the steering wheel audio controls failed also. And again, they works if I turn on the headlights (I see the red lights of the controls button turn on with the headlights which also working as well)

So because of this, I suspect it is related to a failed relay.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks!

My car is 2000 Audi A6 4.2L
Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds a bit funky. How exactly did you re-wire for the foglights? Did you use the headlight switch (a/k/a "nene" fog mod), the right-angle fuse tap method, or some other re-wire method?

I'd guess that you should reverse what you did in the fog mod before you do anything else, to see if that is creating a problem. Then, replace the faulty control module, see if everything works again as it should, then re-do your fog wiring. If things go screwy again, then your fog mod might be the cause.

I had a fog relay go on me a few months ago (I've done the "nene' fog mod), and I reversed the mod and went back to stock, and replaced the module. Everything was fine after that. I re-did the fog mod, but changed the way I tapped one of the wires so I could easily reverse the mod if needed (connector-type taps instead of crimp-on).

Good luck!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I removed my fog light mod. all I did was tap a wire in the fuse box to the fog light fuse. (right-angle fuse tap method)

My question or the problem is,
I don't know what controls (where in location) the steering wheel audio controls. Like what relay? or modules? and where they are.
Can anyone provide information for it?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

So I've looked at the Bentley, and the relay is located behind the knee bolster (the lower dash trim below the steering column). Here is a diagram of the relay panel under the dash...

Name:  multifunction_relay.jpg
Views: 3709
Size:  23.6 KB
Note: Diagram courtesy of Bentley Publishers

It is a large rectangular relay located in positions 7&8 in the above diagram. For reference, the #6 relay if the foglight relay, the purple one in the picture below...

Name:  IMGP5533.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  100.6 KB

You can also see the empty #3 relay spot in the picture, so the #7 and #8 are located just below and to the left of where my picture ends, just to the left of the 387 module, which occupies the #9 and #10 spots on the relay panel.

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by Boston Driver; 03-30-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: updated with new info from Bentley Manual
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Sorry, I edited my earlier reply, so the thread did not "bump" to the top. Check out my edited reply above...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much for the reply.
I will check #7 and #8 reply.
It probably cost alot to replace that relay from audi dealers.
I have alot of relays I pulled from audi car in junk yard, but they are all the typical cube ones.. while this relay takes up 2 slots so it is something different.
I will look into it and see if that is the problem.
Thanks!
Gil
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Relay removed. Questions.

Hello, Thanks for letting me know 7 & 8 position is for the multifunction steering wheel. So I removed the relay and open it up to take a look... and here is what I see...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

From looking at it, it is a module, not a relay.
So this means this 7 & 8 relay is not just acting as a switch and provide power to the multi-functions power steering controls. It should be some sort of modules that decode the control signal and control the head units.

The reason I stated the above is that (since "something" is broken) and I discovered that due to the re-wiring of the foglights fuse caused the multifunction steering wheel to work if headlights with foglight is turned on. So in day time, or night with highbeams, the multi-function steering wheel will stop working.

In this case, that means an actual relay or fuse is bad and the rewiring of the foglight somehow crossed the wire and caused electricity to jump over to the multifunction steering wheel module. Do I make sense?
And since the 7&8 is not really a relay, and seems more like a module, my question will be.

Do anyone know if there are another relay or fuse in the car that I should check or has relationship to the multi-function steering wheel controls?

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
So I've looked at the Bentley, and the relay is located behind the knee bolster (the lower dash trim below the steering column). Here is a diagram of the relay panel under the dash...

Note: Diagram courtesy of Bentley Publishers

It is a large rectangular relay located in positions 7&8 in the above diagram. For reference, the #6 relay if the foglight relay, the purple one in the picture below...

You can also see the empty #3 relay spot in the picture, so the #7 and #8 are located just below and to the left of where my picture ends, just to the left of the 387 module, which occupies the #9 and #10 spots on the relay panel.

Hope that helps!!!