A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I think my buddy might be an idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my buddy might be an idiot.

Like the title says. My buddy is convinced that the stock ecu can be reprogrammed through the OBDII. I plan on chipping my car in time but my buddy is dead set that I dontneed to chip it because the stock computer can be tweaked by simply plugging it into a laptop and getting a free software. he claims he did it to his golf. Is there any truth to this? Is there a program I can download and plug in to the OBDII and slightly tune the stock ecu?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
Like the title says. My buddy is convinced that the stock ecu can be reprogrammed through the OBDII. I plan on chipping my car in time but my buddy is dead set that I dontneed to chip it because the stock computer can be tweaked by simply plugging it into a laptop and getting a free software. he claims he did it to his golf. Is there any truth to this? Is there a program I can download and plug in to the OBDII and slightly tune the stock ecu?
Yes it can and actually is the most used method .....tuners rarely put a phisical chip in anymore......if you want buy a cheap eBay vag cable with ftdi chip and look over on nefmoto ......
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

But you still have to I stall a programmer on the car? Or you just plug it into the car and rewrite the stock ecu with a program onthe pc?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have the hardware/software to write to the EPROM. Sure, hes not wrong. My 928 buddies tune their stock ecu's with shark tuner all the time. My 928 is chipped because I don't know a think about timing or fuel curves. I'd be likely to smoke my pistons or something. A chip will be a slightly better tune that has proven to create slightly more power in the average customers car. A custom tune (if done properly) will always be better for your setup since it's tweaked for your own (actual) setup. High flow intake and exhaust will change the specifics of a tune and can throw a chip (that's programmed for a stock setup) off the same way those parts will throw off your stock (Not modified) tune.

Note about chips in general: my Porsche is not well tuned from the factory. It's old and lacks knock sensors so the factory tune is very conservative (especially timing curve) and leaves a lot of room for improvement. My chips (dual ecu's) made about a 10hp difference and are still conservative. Audi's of these years tend to be pretty well setup from the factory. Unless you have a turbo car, (where the chip will actually increase boost) I highly doubt a chip will make a noticeable difference. That's an opinion but it's likely accurate.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a biturbo. And that's Interesting. So where can I find a program and a link cable? I won t mess with trimmings but I want a better fuel mixture and maybe like 5psi increase In boost. Until I get the $3k to go stage 2
Old 02-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Will this work?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Nefmoto.com for the program information and information on where to buy the cable.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why do you need 3k to go stage 2 .........piggies = free , exhaust 50-300, DV's -75 for both, tbb 50-75.......that's stage 2 I guess you could throw in inter coolers for 2+ 700 , still around 1000 if you diy ......
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bought a cable off Amazon lol my buddy bought the same one after. Now just need the free software.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Going to do all that plus full exhausts and up to K04's

Quick Reply: I think my buddy might be an idiot.