A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

SPC Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

That would be a good idea although you can save a bundle by simply adjusting the adjustables to the same length as the OEM bits, installing them, and then having the shop do an alignment.

And BTW, if you cannot get a reasonably tight fit BEFORE you put the pinch bolt in the carrier, you might find a new carrier is required. The pinch bolt can only tighten so much….
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it this weekend, like you said. As for "tight fit" with the pinch bolt...

It was not as tight as I hoped. They dropped in with only a little force. The old arms were pretty chewed up too.

Where the heck do you get a whole new upright from ? Junkyard or should this be a dealer only part ?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
I did it this weekend, like you said. As for "tight fit" with the pinch bolt...

It was not as tight as I hoped. They dropped in with only a little force. The old arms were pretty chewed up too.

Where the heck do you get a whole new upright from ? Junkyard or should this be a dealer only part ?
Junkyard is fine..chances are it wouldn't be as hosed. OTOH, if yours dropped in with only a little force you're probably ok…make sure you use a new pinch bolt and tighten it according to specs, there's a torque first and then angle turn IIRC. Mine go in with zero force…and have held for as long as necessary until next CVJ boot…
Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Junkyard is fine..chances are it wouldn't be as hosed. OTOH, if yours dropped in with only a little force you're probably ok…make sure you use a new pinch bolt and tighten it according to specs, there's a torque first and then angle turn IIRC. Mine go in with zero force…and have held for as long as necessary until next CVJ boot…
Good deal thanks, everythings working perfect so far and my front tires are actually properly aligned so lets hope for more than 8k miles ... Actually seems ot handle just a well at -1 camber instead of -2.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
Good deal thanks, everythings working perfect so far and my front tires are actually properly aligned so lets hope for more than 8k miles ... Actually seems ot handle just a well at -1 camber instead of -2.
You probably won't notice the camber difference unless you're on the track or above 6/10. Essentially the difference would come into play when the inner part of the tire becomes unloaded in a hard turn/corner. And your tires will likely last longer.

FWIW, I've had my 2K4.2A6Q and 02S6 at factory spec alignment since new and not had tire wear issues. That doesn't mean I've never replaced front upper or lower control arms!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed these about a month ago on my car, but I've been doing lots of little things to my car just about every weekend and I'm not sure I have everything right just yet. These did seem to slide in a little easier than the originals - I could almost squeeze it in with my hands and then slide the pinch bolt in. Not sure it is a carrier issue - they did not wiggle at all once they were in (at least not that I could tell) - but the pinch bolt went in firmly and they were locked in tight with just the bolt being in there and not tightened down yet.

On the other hand, I have had a clunking noise when I go over very light bumps that I can't seem to diagnose. I also did the power steering rack, all control arms, a bearing, sway bar links, etc. - so I'm going nuts. I dropped my subframe yesterday though and as soon as I did the band clamp that holds the heat shield over the cat fell off on the ground, it snapped and must have been hanging. I put a new clamp on it and I'm hoping that was the clunking/banging noise I was looking for.

Driving on them seems Ok so far...I have a couple things to work out but I think they are balance/alignment related and i have to take it back to the shop.