A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question about rear fog light issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rear fog light issue

I agree that rear fog lights on in a no fog situation is an annoying thing to do but using that logic...

Wouldn't driving with front fog lights on at night in a no fog situation be just as annoying? I am sure some people here in this forum drive with fog lights and Xenon lights at night when no fog exists. So are they just as at fault as people with the rear ones on too?

I must admit that in my city, there are many A6s who drive with rear fogs on because almost everyone with front fogs on their car/truck/van etc. use them daily and nightly incessantly. I am sure if these same ppl had rears they'd use them too (use em cuz they are there mentality).

Just my thoughts on this charged issue.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The annoyance factor and safety are the differences...

The front fogs are not so bright as to hurt your eyes when looking in a mirror, whereas the rear fogs are that bright when approaching. More importantly, the rear fog can easily be confused with the brake light, creating a safety concern.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you...most front fogs are a major irritant.

Here in Nor Cal, it seems as though the overwhelming majority of drivers whose cars are equipped with front fogs leave them on all the time. As has been discussed here many times before, drivers of BMWs, Explorers, Grand Ams, Grand Prixs, and any cars with "add-on" fog lights seem to be the worst. I often try to signal the "would you please turn those things off" message by flashing my lights (front or rear, depending on where the offender is), but have never been successful at actually persuading anyone to turn off their fogs.

While many such drivers are probably just oblivious (which makes me wonder just how much attention they're paying to their driving), I'm absolutely convinced that for others it's a matter of intentionally wanting to be in peoples' faces. For them, it's just another way to intentionally demonstrate a lack of common courtesy to other motorists.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

in dropped A6s the rear fog lights arent as blinding to normal cars
Old 12-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I run my front fogs most of the time. During the day in rainy weather, instead of my lows.. and..

at night with my lows to supplement the lowbeams. I have done this with every car I have owned.

Properly aimed fogs should never shine in mirrors, or appear bright to oncoming drivers. If they are, they are aimed WAY to high.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Head Cat Herder

Wrong. The rear light is piercing regardless of ride height.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wife's MDX is an offender, BUT

in that case, the front "fogs" provide noticeable fill-in where the low beams (non-Xenon) don't cover well.

With the A6 Xenons, I can hardly tell fogs are on, so only run fronts when I need the rear or when the low beams are off.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just got car back from dealer. Told me that one of my fog lights was burned out.

I would have never known. There is no fog in MN, so I have never left them for more than a breif flash to say thanks to semi trucks.

If conditions warrent light, I use headlights. If I want to be seen during daylight, I use headlights. If anyone ever flashes me for having too bright of headlight, which has never happened, but if it did, I would get my lights re-aimed.

If you want to drive with your lights on but don't want to use your headlights, buy driving lights. Fog lights are not driving lights.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Head Cat Herder

Driving lights are highbeam supplements, not intended for use in traffic.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

..and yet you run your fogs most of the time???

Quick Reply: Question about rear fog light issue