A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!

2000 A6 Avant 2.8 quattro 89000 mi

I was driving down the road and coolant started leaking rather profusely (i could see the trail from the rear view mirror). I was able to limp it back home and just as I pulled into the driveway, the low oil light came on. The bottom of the engine from about halfway back on the oil pan was covered in oil and coolant. the area from around the water pump was also wet. Where could the oil be coming from? Thanks

Adam
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Adam, I highly doubt someone will be able to clearly "show" you where it is leaking from. What I would suggest is to get a flashlight, open the hood and start looking for leaks from top down and front to back of the engine. Take a very good look, move some hoses or wires if you have to. That would help you finding the leak. Don't have the same engine to give you clear pointers either.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by awavant
2000 A6 Avant 2.8 quattro 89000 mi

I was driving down the road and coolant started leaking rather profusely (i could see the trail from the rear view mirror). I was able to limp it back home and just as I pulled into the driveway, the low oil light came on. The bottom of the engine from about halfway back on the oil pan was covered in oil and coolant. the area from around the water pump was also wet. Where could the oil be coming from? Thanks

Adam
It's coming from the engine in all likelihood The coolant leak is a tipoff. Beyond that you'll actually have to look at it rather than expect divination from the hoi polloi.