A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Service Center says my Audi A6 needs a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by yeshneethA6
Hi

looking for some input here as i am totally at a loss here..
I own an 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and it has 159K mile son it. Bought it when it had 90K in 2007. Timing Belt changed at 150K in Texas and Serpentine Belt a month ago in Indy. yesterday i took the car out for lunch from work. after lunch tuned the ignition, the car started but after a minute the engine stopped and won't start again. Noticed the Battery light was on, so tried jump start but did not work. so got it towed to a service center and today got a call saying that they charged the battery but when tried to start the engine, they could hear a lot of metallic sound and that the engine is done for good and the car needs a new engine.

i am totally at a loss because, i am not sure how could the engine die just so suddenly, i mean it was just riding smooth, no loud noises or anything. the yellow check engine light was on earlier but i got it checked and it turned out to be bad o2 sensors. except for the battery light no other light was on. unable to fathom what would have caused the engine failure.

The mechanic says any attempt to diagnose why the engine failed would be a waste of money and that he can try and rebuild the engine for 6+ grand.

Sorry for such a long post but want to understand if anybody faced similar issue. i am heading to his shop on monday and would like to know what are the possible choices here because he was talking about disposing the car.

any info/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, yesh

Dealers are not always the best, a lot depends on your warranty. If you're paying, it may or may not work out. An anecdote…my 2002 S6 kept on dropping into a limp mode, deadish throttle, etc. After much diagnosis (covered under Audi platinum warranty on a car bought with 64K on it) a new engine was determined the solution (borescope found three scored cylinders although no oil usage in 8K miles!!) and warranty would pay. After some back and forth that could have resulted in a new engine from audi if such a beast existed they were about ready to build one from a new short block and new heads, etc. Xfer all the accessories, we decided to try a used engine…two tries, two really iffy engines. I sourced a used one from shokan and the warranty company tried it and it turned out to be a very good looking piece of kit. Two weeks after installation the same problem happened….CEL and deadish pedal…

The problem turned out to be an intermittent knock sensor (two of them underneath the 4.2 intake) that only showed up when it occurred..vag-com or the dealer variation thereof did not detect a set code…it only showed up when the knock sensor cut in the limp.

In your case the dealer, or rather any mildly competent shade tree mechanic, should be able to discern whether a new engine is necessary…a cursory oil sample/analysis, a spark plug inspection, a compression test or leak down test, a manual engine rotation, and possibly a borescope (buy one at Home Depot, tape it up, use it, and return it in a couple days unscathed) would tell you whether the engine is toasted.

don't over think it.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thanks Everyone for the wonderful suggestions. they really helped me in understanding about the car more.
Upon more questioning this is what is the problem according to the technician who worked on my car.

1. Charged the Battery
2. Car does not start yet
3. so followed audi standard procedure
4. accessed the camshaft area and found that the left cam shaft does not rotate and can hear metallic sound at the end of the engine. There is no compression.

I am getting a second opinion and towing to the dealer. fingers crossed and it most likely sounds like i may have to go for a new car.

Thanks, Yesh
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Let me save you the tow truck fee. Audi will quote you thousands for a new engine and then offer $1k on the car as a trade. If you have no other option but the dealer, you are better off to sell the car on your own.

What is your location?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Thanks Everyone for the wonderful suggestions. they really helped me in understanding about the car more.
Upon more questioning this is what is the problem according to the technician who worked on my car.

1. Charged the Battery
4. accessed the camshaft area and found that the left cam shaft does not rotate and can hear metallic sound at the end of the engine. There is no compression.

I am getting a second opinion and towing to the dealer. fingers crossed and it most likely sounds like i may have to go for a new car.

Thanks, Yesh
I think you'd be better off buying a used one for about $4K, 140K miles, and parting out yours or saving it for a parts car. Putting $2K into a $4K car doesn't seem worth it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. Charged the Battery

Thanks, Yesh
Yeah, You're done. Popped the belt. Cannot stress enough, change them when you get them.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sounddude
Yeah, You're done. Popped the belt. Cannot stress enough, change them when you get them.
In his original post, if I am reading correctly, it looks like he changed the belt about 9,000 miles before this happened...
Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
In his original post, if I am reading correctly, it looks like he changed the belt about 9,000 miles before this happened...
Yep at this point its down to two things, either the TB service was done wrong or a new part failed and I'm more inclined to believe that it was done wrong and something let loose.

This is a job for Columbo
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is an awesome photo of Columbo! I love it.

I would agree- best bet is that something was done "wrong". It could have been a tensioner pulley that was not torqued correctly, something just screwed up, or pulleys/components that were not replaced that should have been.

I have another thought too though - what about a failed Cam chain or cam chain tensioner? Wouldn't this cause some of the same issues?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
That is an awesome photo of Columbo! I love it.

I would agree- best bet is that something was done "wrong". It could have been a tensioner pulley that was not torqued correctly, something just screwed up, or pulleys/components that were not replaced that should have been.

I have another thought too though - what about a failed Cam chain or cam chain tensioner? Wouldn't this cause some of the same issues?
You're right, it could. A closer look would tell for sure but I would chuck the motor as a parts piece anyway.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default For what it's worth... my 2008 A4 experience with "loud metallic sound"

I was out with my wife on an errand. Came out of a store, car made a large metallic noise upon starting (but never ran). The second attempt at starting it would not even turn over. A battery boost did not help.

Bottom line car was towed to dealer. Turned out the oil pump chain and bearing disintegrated. Vehicle was covered (luckily) by an extended warranty and Audi replaced the entire engine because they found too many metal bits in the lower end and did not know how long the issue had gone on before the failure.

I agree with the others. There needs to be a better analysis and details before any work is done. Get a second qualified opinion.

/dan