A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Secondary Air pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air pump replacement

Looks like I need to replace the secondary air pump on my 03 A6 4.2. I pulled off the underside engine cover and I can clearly see the pump at the right front corner of the engine bay.

Wondering if it is easy to remove/replace from underneath or is it necessary to pull the front bumper off to access to from the front?.

Is it true this pump only runs when the engine is cold? Now that I can easily see it, I might reach under there when I start the cold engine to see if the pump even fires up or not.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RGW
Looks like I need to replace the secondary air pump on my 03 A6 4.2. I pulled off the underside engine cover and I can clearly see the pump at the right front corner of the engine bay.

Wondering if it is easy to remove/replace from underneath or is it necessary to pull the front bumper off to access to from the front?.

Is it true this pump only runs when the engine is cold? Now that I can easily see it, I might reach under there when I start the cold engine to see if the pump even fires up or not.
yes that is true .. it fires up for a minute or two shortly after the engine fires up. Hard to miss though as mine sounds like a jet engine.

service mode / removing bumber is very stright forward and will give you lots of access. By the time you figure out any other way you could have put it in service mode and had the job done.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it. Haven't removed the front bumper for anything yet. Is there a link out there to the best steps to do so? I don't want to scratch the paint while I'm doing it.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RGW
Got it. Haven't removed the front bumper for anything yet. Is there a link out there to the best steps to do so? I don't want to scratch the paint while I'm doing it.
im not sure where it is but check the tech articles under timing belt replacement . im pretty sure its in there. its very staright forward. After you do it once you wonder why you have never done it before. I will give you a quick run down as i know it offf the top of my head on my car.

1. jack car up a little to remove under body panel ( i alway s throw jack stands under. )
2. crawl under and use hemostats or needle nose vice grips to clamp off head light sprayer tube
3.disconnect headlight sprayer quick disconnect ( be carefull with the plastic clip and dont lose it )
4.disconnect fog lights and horns at both sides
reach up with a small 10mm ratchet wrench or socket and undo three plastic retainer nuts on each side holding the side of the bumper to the body . ( you may need a flashlight to see these but once you see them you can do it by feel ) .
5.pop out the fog light grills .
6 where you popped out the grills feel for the holes at the top

put your torx up there and romove the 4 inch long bolts . ( sorry cant remember the size )

now its ready to remove .

you have to pull the sides of the bumper cover away from the car a little to release the plastic clips ( you will see what i mean when you do it ..

pull bumper forward and off and place on an old towel or piece of carpet.

polish headlights while bumper off ..

good luck ..

if you have a helper for the first time its easier .. once you have done it once you wont need one..

Last edited by Airbag; 07-18-2014 at 06:26 AM.