A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

second day of driving - stranded at a resturant

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowguy
I sent it in. The removal and reinstallation was pretty straight forward. Besides the fact that it worked for about a week and then just stopped 100% with the p0601 code. There is a guy/company north of milwaukee that is an authorized apr dealer. I think, however, he is a "one-man-show" and kind of hard to meet up with. It really doesn't matter now, unless someone makes a trip to me because the car is completely immobile. The ecu has to be sent away.
this is why i dont like soldered in chips....
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling out the ecu tonight, sending to APR in the morning. Still going to research having a second ecu programmed and ready to go. After searching, found multiple people that got the p0601 code much later than me - sometimes up to 2 years later.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thought I would update. APR is TERRIBLE!!! Got the ecu back tonight. Paid shipping. ECU is exactly same condition as I sent it. Still same code, still no fire at all. Just cranks away. I called APR and I was told "buy a new ecu and we'll program it with the coding of your old one" ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME? I pay $640 to have it programmed, $300 for a tow, $50 in all for shipping twice, I'm without a car for over 3 weeks now all because you TOAST my ecu and you tell me to buy a new one?

I'm so mad right now I can hardly type this without throwing the keyboard. They receive my ecu in perfect condition and CHARGE me to damage it and they tell me to buy a new one. I will dedicate days to posting on every forum I can find about my experience and file a complaint with the BBB. At least it's something. I have never had an experience like this.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thought I would update. APR is TERRIBLE!!! Got the ecu back tonight. Paid shipping. ECU is exactly same condition as I sent it. Still same code, still no fire at all. Just cranks away. I called APR and I was told "buy a new ecu and we'll program it with the coding of your old one" ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME? I pay $640 to have it programmed, $300 for a tow, $50 in all for shipping twice, I'm without a car for over 3 weeks now all because you TOAST my ecu and you tell me to buy a new one?

I'm so mad right now I can hardly type this without throwing the keyboard. They receive my ecu in perfect condition and CHARGE me to damage it and they tell me to buy a new one. I will dedicate days to posting on every forum I can find about my experience and file a complaint with the BBB. At least it's something. I have never had an experience like this.
try calling back and talking to someone higher up. that is ridiculous
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your prior posts were true, they didn't receive it in perfect condition. If it was in perfect condition, you wouldn't of had to send it to them. Your car had a no-start situation, you removed your ECU and sent it back for re-flash and your car STILL has a no-start situation. Why is this a sign they burned it up ? Maybe it wasn't ECU related. Is there more to the story then what is in this thread ?

I don't like to see vendors (ANY vendor) flamed unfairly. If they DID break it, fine - go after them, they deserve it. But, from the facts written in this thread, you had the same condition before and after you sent in the ECU.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RMsALFA
If your prior posts were true, they didn't receive it in perfect condition. If it was in perfect condition, you wouldn't of had to send it to them. Your car had a no-start situation, you removed your ECU and sent it back for re-flash and your car STILL has a no-start situation. Why is this a sign they burned it up ? Maybe it wasn't ECU related. Is there more to the story then what is in this thread ?

I don't like to see vendors (ANY vendor) flamed unfairly. If they DID break it, fine - go after them, they deserve it. But, from the facts written in this thread, you had the same condition before and after you sent in the ECU.
Before getting chipped by APR it was in perfect working condition.

Did you miss the code P0601 about a checksum error? All points to the ECU.

It seems APR was not proactive about the problem. At the very least, did they test the ECU? Does it read correctly? All they did was send it back to him.

So yeah, APR should pick up their customer service. This is not an isolated case with APR, there have been others.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RMsALFA

WHAT??? Did you read anything I wrote. Before the initial shipment, the ecu had worked PERFECTLY for 8 years, no codes at all. I get it back THE FIRST TIME (which was sent to the so they could program stage one - not because of ANY problems) and it two days it blows the code and kills the car completely. I send it a SECOND time for repair of the dead car and they said they fixed it sent it back and it does the exact same thing....Now I have a dead car, a dead ecu, out over $900 dollars for them to damage my ecu, and they are telling ME to buy a new one....and I talked to them again today and they are sticking to the story. I am mad as F**K! and I think you would be too. How about you send me your perfectly working ECU, I'll destroy it for $900, send it back to you and tell you, "It was already like that. Buy a new one"
Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's what she replied: I don't know but it sounds like BS to me. Could this be true?...

"Yes, I could definitely understand your concerns.

To explain how this could happen, it is likely the error is on one of the other EPROM’s, the ECU doesn’t go in and check all of these memory locations every time the car runs. Instead, it locates the issue in one of the maps when it uses that map then reports the error. So the issue could have been there for the past 3-4 years and when the ECU was removed from the car and then reinstalled, the ECU went back to use a map that it normally doesn’t since it was the first time it was connected. It found the error and now reports the error back.

Here are pictures of a ME7 ECU same as what you have in your car. The Checksum Error that is not repairable by APR could be in any of these EPROM’s shown on the board, not just the one we replace.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's what she replied: I don't know but it sounds like BS to me. Could this be true?...

"Yes, I could definitely understand your concerns.

To explain how this could happen, it is likely the error is on one of the other EPROM’s, the ECU doesn’t go in and check all of these memory locations every time the car runs. Instead, it locates the issue in one of the maps when it uses that map then reports the error. So the issue could have been there for the past 3-4 years and when the ECU was removed from the car and then reinstalled, the ECU went back to use a map that it normally doesn’t since it was the first time it was connected. It found the error and now reports the error back.

Here are pictures of a ME7 ECU same as what you have in your car. The Checksum Error that is not repairable by APR could be in any of these EPROM’s shown on the board, not just the one we replace.
bull ****, SHOW ME WHICH EPROM you replaced, show me which EPROM is bad? this is horse ****, im sorry but for the little it would cost them to fix eproms and save face that is the most chicken **** way out ive ever heard.

officially never buying another APR product
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

WHAT??? Did you read anything I wrote. Before the initial shipment, the ecu had worked PERFECTLY for 8 years, no codes at all. I get it back THE FIRST TIME (which was sent to the so they could program stage one - not because of ANY problems) and it two days it blows the code and kills the car completely. I send it a SECOND time for repair of the dead car and they said they fixed it sent it back and it does the exact same thing....Now I have a dead car, a dead ecu, out over $900 dollars for them to damage my ecu, and they are telling ME to buy a new one....and I talked to them again today and they are sticking to the story. I am mad as F**K! and I think you would be too. How about you send me your perfectly working ECU, I'll destroy it for $900, send it back to you and tell you, "It was already like that. Buy a new one"

really feel for ya, but i think he just missed alot of the thread and the whole story, dont lash out, we are here to help

bottom line, APR is a big enough company that this **** is not going to fly with me or any one else

Quick Reply: second day of driving - stranded at a resturant