A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

SAAB 92X...I think they lost the sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAAB 92X...I think they lost the sale

Well, got a nice kill today, totally unintended but cool none the less.

Took the Audi down to get it washed and an detail done (wash,wax,carpets,mats,tires,wheels). Anyhow, left the car wash and stopped at the PS2 gaming store a few blocks up. As I was leaving, I could hear a car coming towards me with a turbo spooling up. About that time I noticed a brand new Saab 9-2X coming past with Demo plates on it.

At the light, I had my window down, and they had the windows down on the Saab, guy driving, wife in passenger seat, salesman in back. At the light they were next to me, I heard the salesman comment "see what I was saying about the power this thing has, take that Audi next to us, you could easily take him from the light"

My ears perked up, did I hear a challenge issued forth? There was no other Audi's around, must have been me. I glanced left, the guy was still chatting, the light went green, the salesman said floor it.

I was in TIP mode so I was not as quick in the up-shifts from 1-2. So he got a slight jump on me, I caught and passed him in flash. At the next light I was waiting for them to pull, hmmm, the windows were all rolled up, and there didn't seem to be anyone talking inside the car. I waved, they didn't wave back, I'm hurt. At the next light they made a U-turn and went back the other way.

I jumped over and made a U-turn as well, at the intersection in front of the dealership, I noticed that they were waiting to turn in.

I wonder, did they loose the sale??
Old 03-12-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if we ever meet up and you "kill me" i always give waves or thumbs up
Old 03-12-2005, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice kill, its just the fact that the salesman said the saab could take your car makes it worth it.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Can just hear the salesguy telling the mark..er, customer..that that wasn't a regular Audi....
Old 03-12-2005, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice story on the 9-2x kill, but are you SURE it was a turbo version?

The turbo model has a 0-60 in the mid to high 4's. I know I was impressed with my recent test drive of a 2.7t. Perhaps driver skill figured into your kill. Always nice to beat something that should be better on paper. In my tingling world of fantasy, I am still looking with great lust at 2.7t.s
Old 03-12-2005, 08:31 PM

Its not Steven King, but you might have a future in some sort of fictional prose.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

9.2x does 0-60 in the 5's, but anyway you cut it..its faster than the a6.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 AM

Default small engine, big turbo=....

means you need to really be rough on the tranny and clutch to get a quick time to 60. Maybe it was an auto tranny bringing it's 0-60 in line with a 2.7T. Also don't forget 3 adults in car as well...

I had a '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5 spd and that thing was a rocket off the line if you worked the clutch right and was forceful with it, but you get the rpms off by just a few hundred and you were no better than 7 sec's to 60... have a/c on or extra people in the car and it was a dog at times.

The 2.7 has the small turbo's and manages its weight well. It seems to pull solid even with multiple people in the car since it hits max torque at low rpm and carries it through the rev band.

I loved the story either way... if I heard what he heard while sitting at the light I would have brake torque'd it and pounded him. Nice how the sales rep has the customers beating on new cars with no mileage on the engine.. imagine what the reps do to those cars.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Better Steven King than Michael Moore. I seem to have used the figure for the 300hp STi version

which did 0-60 in 4.9 according to Car & Driver's Feb test. They show the 9-2x as 5.4. Ooops. Brain fart.WRX and Saabaru are nice commuter rockets, and date magnets perhaps for the 20-something singles and ricers, but ANY vehicle in the Audi line would get my vote over the 9-2x or WRX. Just too tinny for me. I do like the 9-3's though.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with most of that. Power brake it and let it fly, haha! I somewhat disagree with the

need to baby the car much after 500 miles though, at least based on my own experiences. I took my first Opel to an SCCA driver school with barely 300 miles on it, and that car was always faster than everyone elses. I think the internal parts got friendly with each other real fast BECAUSE of the early "training." You don't really know how many miles were on that unfortunate 9-2x either. I also agree, if demo cars could only talk to us before we bought them, ha!

Quick Reply: SAAB 92X...I think they lost the sale