A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

RS6 rims on an A6 - can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for their info, but I just got some insight into my original problem. According to an online store selling replica wheels, the 2.7T A6 is different sometimes. For instance, some of them sit lower (even if they haven't been lowered). Therefore, the size Tire Rack sent me was probably correct. It was just my 2.7T variant that was somehow unique.

So, for anyone else planning on changing the rims on their 2.7T, keep this information in mind, and be prepared to buy spacers. The company I've been communicating with automatically supplies spacers just in case, so it's probably not an uncommon problem.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by da8472
Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for their info, but I just got some insight into my original problem. According to an online store selling replica wheels, the 2.7T A6 is different sometimes. For instance, some of them sit lower (even if they haven't been lowered). Therefore, the size Tire Rack sent me was probably correct. It was just my 2.7T variant that was somehow unique.
The C5 A6 was available with a factory sport suspension that lowered the car by 20mm (about 3/4") and was optional on the 2.7T and 4.2 and standard on the S6 and RS6.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeMan
Dude, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but this is like the 4th time I've seen you post this.
And how many times have you seen someone ask about installing huge, heavy wheels on their cars?

When people stop posting the same questions, I'll stop posting the same answers. As you obviously know, the laws of physics do not change.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by monkeytronic
The C5 A6 was available with a factory sport suspension that lowered the car by 20mm (about 3/4") and was optional on the 2.7T and 4.2 and standard on the S6 and RS6.
I did not realize that. Is there a way to tell if mine if factory lowered?

Still, the company I talked to probably would have mentioned the sport suspension option. So from context I believe they were saying the 2.7T is unique every time regardless of the sport suspension.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by da8472
I did not realize that. Is there a way to tell if mine if factory lowered?

Still, the company I talked to probably would have mentioned the sport suspension option. So from context I believe they were saying the 2.7T is unique every time regardless of the sport suspension.
Well that obviously cannot be the case. A car with a production run of tens or hundreds of thousands cannot have a "unique suspension or ride height every time" - which company is peddling this nonsense?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
And how many times have you seen someone ask about installing huge, heavy wheels on their cars?

When people stop posting the same questions, I'll stop posting the same answers. As you obviously know, the laws of physics do not change.
In that case, I suggest you take said laws of physics and start working on the weight (and weight distribution) of your own cars first.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by A6contem
In that case, I suggest you take said laws of physics and start working on the weight (and weight distribution) of your own cars first.
Not sure I follow...?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I suggest both of you read up on unsprung weight and rotational mass and the effects of boat anchor heavy wheels on handling and performance. Then go find some nice, light 17 x 8 wheels with the proper offset.
What??

The guy obviously has a problem here to which he is reaching out to the forum for solutions. He already said he's trying not to spend much more money, so to criticize the issue by making a statement such as "boat anchor heavy" wheels and implying he should start over, is not helpful. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and you've certainly exercised your right to that, but when its not constructive to the issue, keep it to yourself.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6contem
Well that obviously cannot be the case. A car with a production run of tens or hundreds of thousands cannot have a "unique suspension or ride height every time" - which company is peddling this nonsense?
Well obviously not every car is unique. What basically was said that some work and some don't and you can't ever be sure so it comes down to luck.

The company I talked to was Lakeshore Wheel and Tire. If interested, here's the exact quote from one of their emails.

"what we have found is that each time we've tried to fit a 2.7T, they are unique. Our #172 wheels have fit without modification in most cases. In fact we just did a set 2 weeks ago for a guy with a 2001 2.7T, and they fit fine. However, we always send the wheels with 3-5mm spacers just in case they rub on the inside, as some of those 2.7T's do sit lower (whether they have been lowered or not)."

See, no mention of the sport suspension option. Who knows, maybe that's what they meant when they said "some of those 2.7T's do sit lower"
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently bought a '04 A6 2.7T S-line that has factory 9 spoke RS6 18" rims with 235/40/18 tires on them. I am trying to find out what the size and back space these rims are since there seems to be at least 2 factory 18" versions of this rim. I want to replace the wheels since they are badly curb rashed from the previous owner.

Quick Reply: RS6 rims on an A6 - can it be done?