A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

RS6 rims on an A6 - can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS6 rims on an A6 - can it be done?

Hello to anyone who has mounted 18" rims on an A6 C5 successfully. I am in envy and will be appreciative if you can help me. Some time ago I bought 18" rims from Tire Rack handing over my ignorance to their system that claimed to match rims and tires with my A6 in a compatible way. Unfortunately, the tires rubbed against the wheel bearing housing and Tire Rack refused to refund them. So I was forced to try another set of tires on the rims with a lower profile. This worked, however, made the wheels look out of proportion (like the wheels on a grand piano). At this point, before I risk anymore money, I want to learn what I need. Specifically, I'd like to know if the 18" rims off the RS6 will work. I can't see why not, it's essentially the same shape of car. I've also been told by my mechanic that people have taken 18s from the A8/S8 and put them on the A6 no problem.

Basically, has anyone fit genuine Audi 18" rims on an A6? I would hope it came from the RS6. I like the look and the tire size probably wouldn't have to be changed. Do you know where I could pick up these wheels (besides a dealer)? Non-Audi wheels would be okay, as well as replicas. Please just tell me the size of everything. Rim width, tire dimensions, offset, etc. (Especially, the offset: that's where Tire Rack screwed me).

Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've got a set of 9-spoke B5 RS4 18x8.5" ET35 wheels on the '02 A6 4.2 and the RS6 was factory equipped with these wheels.

The fit is perfect but, then, the 4.2 is a wide body just like an RS6.

As always, YMMV fit-wise if you've got a narrow body A6.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 9-spoke RS6 wheels are 18x8.5 ET30 I believe, and they should def fit a narrow-body A6 unless you have some mods.

I know because I researched this quite thoroughly at one point (the 9-spokers are one of my favorite OEM wheel designs), even directly asking a few people who've done the same on here and at AZ. I also know some people will dismiss the idea right off the bat ("original RS6 rims won't fit," "the offset is too low," etc.) but that is just idle speculation.

Tires: OEM RS6 tire sizes on that wheel were 255/40-18, I believe. According to at least one 2.7T owner with original RS6 rims/tires, this will work but ideally you probably want to stay close to the OEM tire size for narrowbody A6s which is 235/40-18.

What you have to keep in mind is that the same-looking 9-spoke wheel came on many different Audis in different dimensions. The B5 RS4 and C5 allroad OEM wheels had lower offset, IIRC, and may require fender rolling with narrower tires. The B6 A4 USP ("Ultra Sport Package") had similar looking wheels which are 18x8 ET43, which should be fine too. Def do NOT get MKI Audi TT wheels because those are 5x100.

Where to find them: You def do not want to pay retail/dealership prices for wheels available in the classifieds for a fraction of the price. You may not find them immediately, but look across the 3 large Audi forums (AW/AZ/QW) or even VWVortex and you'll find them reasonably soon.

When in doubt, look for OEM wheels as they are built, typically in Germany, to a quality standard to meet TUV specs. There are some branded-replicas such as Hartmann, VMR, etc. that have developed a reputation. Be wary of anything with no brand whatsoever and/or not made to any kind of wheel quality standards (German "TUV" or Japanese "JWL" etc.)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

for those with the RS6 wheel/tire combo. what tire pressure are you using?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

since you guys are on this topic, i have a '99 audi a6 avant quattro and i would like to put a! avantgarde wheels on mine. they are 18x8 with 32 offset, tires are 235/40...will this fit? i'm more concerned about the offset. my car is stock and is not lowered but eventually it will. any input would be helpful, thanks!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I suggest both of you read up on unsprung weight and rotational mass and the effects of boat anchor heavy wheels on handling and performance. Then go find some nice, light 17 x 8 wheels with the proper offset.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phila6
for those with the RS6 wheel/tire combo. what tire pressure are you using?
40 psi with 255/40-18s.

In somewhat related news, 255/35-18 is the "correct" size for a 4.2 with 18x8.5" wheels and is the same overall diameter as the 4.2's OE 255/40-17 size.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned I have the 2.7T. It sounds like that's the narrow body. I didn't even realize that the 4.2 or the RS6 were wider. Now that I think about it, there's probably less room in the wheel well on a 2.7T (at least in the front) due to the turbos.

Still, great information from all of you so far. I'm starting to consider that maybe the specs for my Tire Rack wheels, at least on paper, may have been okay. I may have been just this particular model of tire that could have wide tire walls, even if the contact patch isn't that wide.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I certainly gives me an idea of the limit of space inside this car.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cods11
since you guys are on this topic, i have a '99 audi a6 avant quattro and i would like to put a! avantgarde wheels on mine. they are 18x8 with 32 offset, tires are 235/40...will this fit? i'm more concerned about the offset. my car is stock and is not lowered but eventually it will. any input would be helpful, thanks!
18x8 ET32 doesn't sound like a problem, but with stock non-sport suspension it will probably look a bit like a 4x4. You may want to hold off on that until you can lower the car at roughly the same time or soon thereafter
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I suggest both of you read up on unsprung weight and rotational mass and the effects of boat anchor heavy wheels on handling and performance. Then go find some nice, light 17 x 8 wheels with the proper offset.
Dude, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but this is like the 4th time I've seen you post this. Everyone one of us here I'm sure at some point has taken a physics class either in high school or college. We understand what moment of inertia and rotational mass are. We drive Audi A6s, they are not track cars. We don't care if our A6s run a quarter mile in .3s (or whatever) more because we went from a 22lbs 17" wheel to a 24lb 18" wheel (or whatever). We love our A6's because they are comfortable, look good, make us feel good, can drive through anything and (for me) mostly because girls love them and there is a large back seat. 17" wheels look retarded. The guy is just trying to make his ride a bit more personal and a little unique.

Not to mention 18" OZ alles' weigh something like 5 pounds less than 17" BBS CH's, but I bet you wouldn't have said anything if he was trying to fit CH's.

Quick Reply: RS6 rims on an A6 - can it be done?