A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Received my Ebay Vag

Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Received my Ebay Vag

So I will admit, I probably pulled the plug on $7 a bit too fast, before reading as much as I should have...but then again, it was only $7. If I can't figure this out, at least I can check my CEL's. I'd like some clarification and/or help if you may...

Currently using VCDS-Lite and a knock off Vag-Com interface (KKL Vag-Com for 409.1) Does this mean I should stop using VCDS-Lite and just use the 409.1 software? Ya...simple question, I just figured VCDS-Lite was more "updated"

I don't have access to a lot of the settings (i.e 46-Central Conv., 09-Cent. Elect.) So a lot of he "mods" I want to do, I can't. Not to mention I haven't registered @ Ross-Tech ($99). Eventually, once I figure all this stuff out, I'm loving it btw...even though I can't do much of anything, I plan to upgrade to "Legit" hardware/software. You get what you pay for right?

I posted this to ask about the Window control with remote as well as the 1 touch unlock of all 4 doors..not to mention my "Hitler horn" as my wife calls it, aka the duck fart. Using this link, https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec36.shtml, I put in recode it to 14921 as the page says, but in the recoding section where it says "soft. coding" it only shows 00001, instead of the factory 15885. Any ideas as to why that is happening? Something I just realized, is that the article I linked to was made in 2000, so I'm wondering if the Symphony radio he is referring to is the first gen, and not the Symphony II like I have. Did I just answer my own question?

I don't have access to any Long Coding as most the articles I see are talking about, so is there any other way to do the "mod"? I'll list the mods I'm interested in and see what sort of answers I can get from you all. Again, I realize that without the legit software/hardware I am going to be limited, so any help without just referring that statement, would be great!

Mod's I'd like to do:
Window Control with Remote
1 Touch 4-Door Unlock
Adaptive Brake Lights (Interested, not sold on it yet...any body have an explanation?)
Fog lamp with Turn Signal
Lap Timer
Headlight Washer - Duration

That's about all I've found I'm interested. I MIGHT be interested in some of the DIS mod's, if I knew what DIS is. Lol

Well there's why I'm posting this. Any help would be awesome! Time to work on this 16815/16805 CEL...Time to research this Diode Mod.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, I've seen quite a few post(s) about Operating Systems and having the laptop plugged into power...So I'll post that info.

ASUS Rog 750JW
Windows 8.1
Plugged into power while connect to computer

It sounds like I may have to downgrade (dual-boot) to Windows XP, which isn't a problem...still got my Windows XP Black Edition laying around here somewhere.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nobody has any comments yet!? :-(

So after doing some more digging, I found out that the C5 doesn't have the Rapid Data Transfer that is needed to "mess" with some of the settings. What I'm not understanding is, is how there are so many doing these things when it's not supported. Per Ross-Tech's site... http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ons/100a6.html . Help would be great guys/gals!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And before somebody tells me to utilize the search feature of this forum...I did search, AND I went through about 20 pages of posts containing Vagcom/Vag-Com/VCDS/etc. :-) And I did use Google quite a bit too. Asking on the forum is my last resort option.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ComplexGinger
And before somebody tells me to utilize the search feature of this forum...I did search, AND I went through about 20 pages of posts containing Vagcom/Vag-Com/VCDS/etc. :-) And I did use Google quite a bit too. Asking on the forum is my last resort option.
Out of 5,877 threads and 20,695 posts in the Electronic/Vag-Com forum section something has to be there.

Seems like the members in the C5 forum these days are just trying to keep the boat afloat and the vag-com gurus moved on to the newer Can Bus tricks and magic coding, rarely discussing measuring blocks or setting readiness codes are even mentioned.

I'm curious were you heard about fog lamp with turn signal code moding?
Heck the C5 can't even turn on the fog lamps outside of the headlamp switch even for DRL use via a control module, and I have a 2004.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

jcman, I searched just the C5 section of this forum...that was before I knew about the Vag-Com section in Electronics. So that will be a new "job" for me tomorrow while the wife is at work and the kids are in school.

In regards to the fog lamp question, here is a section I found, although I think I have another somewhere. It's based off the B8/Q5 chassis, but says it should work on a lot of other models as well. Figured might be worth a shot. Kind of sad though that my generation car isn't as popular anymore. Not like people upgrade right? Lol.

Fog lights as cornering lights: C99 reports DavidB8s work at A5OC.com (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...615/index.html) that changing byte 4 bit 0 from 0 to 1 in 09 - Central Electric enables fog lights as cornering lights. Note: Depending on market certain light configurations may be illegal to drive on public roads.

Here is the direct link: http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a5vagcodes.html

Hope this helps you!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ComplexGinger
jcman, I searched just the C5 section of this forum...that was before I knew about the Vag-Com section in Electronics. So that will be a new "job" for me tomorrow while the wife is at work and the kids are in school.

In regards to the fog lamp question, here is a section I found, although I think I have another somewhere. It's based off the B8/Q5 chassis, but says it should work on a lot of other models as well. Figured might be worth a shot. Kind of sad though that my generation car isn't as popular anymore. Not like people upgrade right? Lol.

Fog lights as cornering lights: C99 reports DavidB8s work at A5OC.com (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...615/index.html) that changing byte 4 bit 0 from 0 to 1 in 09 - Central Electric enables fog lights as cornering lights. Note: Depending on market certain light configurations may be illegal to drive on public roads.

Here is the direct link: http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/a5vagcodes.html

Hope this helps you!
Well, I'm not the one asking for help or direction so for what its worth both C5 fog lights are powered by one relay via light switch contact and this is a plain out fact, so even if you attempted lets say to tap off each of the turn signal lamp wires to dedicated left/right relays for the fogs the extra line current will throw a turn signal bulb out on the info screen as that is about all one of the modules is doing "looking at an input".

When you look at the Ross-tech vagcom application chart you will see that after 04 on every model the CAN bus functions are on just about every module, keep in mind that leaps and bounds of technology is between a Q5/A5 and a C5 A6 therefore the links you've provided are a mute point and don't apply here.

I hope this is informative to you!

Last edited by jcman; 05-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.