A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Coolant Leak

Alright, so I replaced the Aux pump and the coolant temperature sensor. When I did replace the CTS, the o-ring was completely deteriorated. I replaced that, started up the car, and I'm still dropping coolant like it's a joke!

What I think it is, is the o-rings on the back of the engine where the coolant lines run to the front. below the CTS. I can see water dripping from that region, but its definitely not the CTS. MY real question is, how in the hell do I replace that o-ring? Any tips on how to get back there? If I take out the accordian intake piece and the Y-Pipe, I get some room but not much.. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

2002.5 A6 2.7t
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by KingHamer
Alright, so I replaced the Aux pump and the coolant temperature sensor. When I did replace the CTS, the o-ring was completely deteriorated. I replaced that, started up the car, and I'm still dropping coolant like it's a joke!

What I think it is, is the o-rings on the back of the engine where the coolant lines run to the front. below the CTS. I can see water dripping from that region, but its definitely not the CTS. MY real question is, how in the hell do I replace that o-ring? Any tips on how to get back there? If I take out the accordian intake piece and the Y-Pipe, I get some room but not much.. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. Thanks!
I believe you must remove the intake manifold to get back there. It's a good thing to replace the O-rings in the connections at the back of the heads as well. The OEM O-ring in the pipe to the front of the engine may be slightly too small in cross section as well…on my 02S6 the tech had to put in a larger cross section O-ring to get it to seal. You should be able to feel a relatively tight fit when you put them together.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I believe you must remove the intake manifold to get back there. It's a good thing to replace the O-rings in the connections at the back of the heads as well. The OEM O-ring in the pipe to the front of the engine may be slightly too small in cross section as well…on my 02S6 the tech had to put in a larger cross section O-ring to get it to seal. You should be able to feel a relatively tight fit when you put them together.
Thank you for your reply, I'll tackle it this weekend!