A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Radio locked in SAFE mode - 2001 A6

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio locked in SAFE mode - 2001 A6

Radio stuck in SAFE mode - I recently bought used Audi A6 2001 Quattro for my son. The radio is locked in SAFE mode. It also says CD in. The car came without a manual and/or radio card. I ordered the car stereo removal tools and was able to pull the radio and then send the VIN # and the AUZ # off the radio to Audi USA and they sent me the radio code. Problem is when I hold the P.SCAN and RBDS button at the same time, the 0000 does not come up to even enter the code. The other forum(s) (see below) say to leave the key in the ignition lock for about an hour then to try again. Does the key have to be turned on? or just in the ignition?
6) If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

How long are you holding the buttons for? Takes a while...
Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep a battery charger plugged and hooked up. Looks like it might be required for quite sometime. It'll crack.... eventually.... keep at it!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sort of become obsessed with understanding these Audi Symphony radios. I'm no guru but I've figured out a few things, and the "Problem is when I hold the P.SCAN and RBDS button at the same time, the 0000 does not come up to even enter the code" ... that seems ominous.

If you like I can send you a loaner unit to try and if it behaves differently than you know it is an issue with your radio, and if it has the same problem you can draw different conclusions. I have several of these so you're welcome to borrow one.

~Tanya
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi radio codes - a complete guide from Prestige Imports might help?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pfrank
Radio stuck in SAFE mode - I recently bought used Audi A6 2001 Quattro for my son. The radio is locked in SAFE mode. It also says CD in. The car came without a manual and/or radio card. I ordered the car stereo removal tools and was able to pull the radio and then send the VIN # and the AUZ # off the radio to Audi USA and they sent me the radio code. Problem is when I hold the P.SCAN and RBDS button at the same time, the 0000 does not come up to even enter the code. The other forum(s) (see below) say to leave the key in the ignition lock for about an hour then to try again. Does the key have to be turned on? or just in the ignition?
6) If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.
Not only does the key need to be in the ignition lock, the ignition must be turned on and the radio on (displaying SAFE, in your case.)

Leave it in this situation for at least an hour before attempting to enter the codes.

Last edited by georgeb944; 05-11-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If all else fails, these radios are cheap on eBay. Just buy another one. It will come with a code.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use this helpful link > clicky clicky >> Ti Kan: Audi Radios
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used Symphone Radios with codes

Originally Posted by clancy
If all else fails, these radios are cheap on eBay. Just buy another one. It will come with a code.
Since I'm a paid-up vendor on this forum and I offer used, guaranteed Symphony units with radio code, perhaps this is an appropriate time to offer the link to my web page for these. At the bottom of that web page are also some links to tech articles I wrote, related to these units.

I hope some of the readers will find them to be useful.

Original used part 4B0035195A for 1999-2001 C5

I suspect that I cannot come close to competing with some of the amazing eBay deals out there, price-wise, but ... I am one more option if you don't want to go the eBay route.

Last edited by ocles_inc; 07-01-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Better wording
Old 05-30-2022, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aidi Concert Radio Safe Mode

Recently, although I have Audi Concert (bought such radio/CD holder kept inside trunk, for my Audi A 6 in year 2002 and car itself is model 9/1997) Radio Code, I entered 3 times wrong code when SAFE appear as I used it from memory instead looking in car papers within car. This happened after car battery replacement.

I managed to power radio from safe mode from 4th attempt after looking into car radio manual and finding exact code written in manual.

1) Put radio on with radio power push button key (situated in center of radio) and wait until SAFE appear. Then leave radio on with SAFE steady sign, lock your door and car and take car key away. HERE SOME PEOPLE SAY IT IS REQUIRED TO LEAVE KEY IN IGNITION LOCK - IT IS NOT NEEDED!

2) After 1 hour or more, open the car door and insert car key in the ignition without put contact or igniting the car.

3) Press together TPS and RDS for FEW seconds FIRMLY AND TOGETHER unfil SAFE appear.

4) Then press 1-2-3-4 on radio and enter 4 digits Audi Concert Radio CODE what is written within car radio manual what I always keept inside the car, entire car manual including radio manual. With 1 you enter first digit code, with 2 second, with 3 third and with 4 fourth code. Pressing 1-2-3-4 several times you will obtain desired code.

5) And finally press TDS and RDS firmly together for few seconds and radio will switch on enabling you to listen radio stations and CD (my Audi Concert Radio come with CD player inside the rear trunk).

And once again, IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO LEAVE CAR KEY IN IGNITION FOR AN HOUR OR MORE WITH SAFE SIGN. But it is required to leave radio in with SAFE lighting for an hour or more - I left mine after switching SAFE on for over 5 hours. SAFE sign will disappear after about one hour as radio will switch off.