A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Quick Question, buying late C5 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick Question, buying late C5 2.7T

SO, I am looking at a couple of C5 Advent 04 and C5 based Allroad 04/05 cars in the 130K to 160K range.
Assuming they were well maintained with proper timing belt changes and Transmission services, what else should I worry about.

When do they end up needing new turbos?
How much to do a set?

How hard is it to put new air springs on these cars (Was air suspension an Allroad feature only, or did they have an air suspension option on the Sedan and Wagon?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the Avant and Allroad both have the 2.7t engine?
Do either of them have black seats?? (Had to add that One) HaHa
Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

N_Jay those turbo's are pretty stout and can last well over 200k providing the right oil and change interval was done, no boost spinning cold and a hot cool down is important too, the problem is you don't know if the owners did or did not adhere to the other things about owning a turbo car...maybe you do.

If you hear a dentist drill noise revving the engine the turbo's are on the way south.

I don't believe it's the changing of the air-springs that would be the issue more so it's the cost of them.....not cheap and very proprietary.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
N_Jay those turbo's are pretty stout and can last well over 200k providing the right oil and change interval was done, no boost spinning cold and a hot cool down is important too, the problem is you don't know if the owners did or did not adhere to the other things about owning a turbo car...maybe you do.

If you hear a dentist drill noise revving the engine the turbo's are on the way south.

I don't believe it's the changing of the air-springs that would be the issue more so it's the cost of them.....not cheap and very proprietary.
I thought Arnott had the springs now?
Need to check. (I just put an Arnott on my GL)

Edit:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid124.html

Last edited by N_Jay; 04-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Assuming no noticeable noise and no smoke, and other tests for the turboes?

Any other high failure items? (Assuming I have the transmission, timing, and front suspension arms covered)?
Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Assuming no noticeable noise and no smoke, and other tests for the turboes?

Any other high failure items? (Assuming I have the transmission, timing, and front suspension arms covered)?
Right smoke is the other one too, none other than VCDS codes relevant.
Search out the forums, I rarely read about issues about the turbo failing outside of the DV, loose hose clamps...ect...ect.

Both are subject to just about the same issues compared to sedans, the allroad does have more goodies over avants though .
Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought Arnott had the springs now?
Need to check. (I just put an Arnott on my GL)

Edit:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid124.html
Wow! $400 or $300 for one spring is still steep.

Edited after viewing MB units.

Last edited by jcman; 04-02-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right smoke is the other one too, none other than VCDS codes relevant.
Search out the forums, I rarely read about issues about the turbo failing outside of the DV, loose hose clamps...ect...ect.

Both are subject to just about the same issues compared to sedans, the allroad does have more goodies over avants though .
Yes, showed the Advent, Allroad and a Touareg to my daughter, she liked the Touareg best, but it will come down to price and condition.
Since I have one C5 I am maintaining the knowledge will get shared with the Allroad.

We are replacing a CR-V that my son attempted to make mid-engine with the help of a tree.

Last edited by N_Jay; 04-02-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow! $400 or $300 for one spring is still steep.

Edited after viewing MB units.
Lucky for me it was a rear spring leaking. ($160 and about 45 min work)
Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, showed the Advent, Allroad and a Touareg to my daughter, she liked the Touareg best, but it will come down to price and condition.
Since I have one C5 I am maintaining the knowledge will get shared with the Allroad.

We are replacing a CR-V that my son attempted to make mid-engine with the help of a tree.
Volkswagen Touareg's are nice for sure and larger then the Q5 for the Q5 price over the Q7, them boys at the Volkswagen Audi Group have mastered the art of marketing the branding basically on the same platforms at the mercy of buyer and the badge, almost like GM and GMC trucks....well kinda relative.

Really hope your son did not get hurt, we had a similar experience with our daughter in a jetta vs. the huge statement stone off the side of the road in 07, still spooks the hell out of me that she crawled out with just a broken collar bone, the car was a total wreck.

The Ohio State Trouper told me that the deer she tried to miss may of caused more damage at the rate of speed she was traveling, we are still counting our blessings.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 04-02-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick Question, buying late C5 2.7T