A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power Steering Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Failure

Well... Back into my garage with the 2.7t....

The power steering pump has whined since I purchased the car about a year and a half ago. I quieted it down for sometime with the 'poor man's' power steering/hydraulic fluid flush and replaced a crimp clamp at the suction side of the pump with a high quality worm-style clamp.... Basically, I turkey basted a significant amount of fluid out and swapped in 2 other litres before bleeding the system lock to lock while the front end was in the air. However, as the winter progressed the noise returned. I wish the pump would've failed a few months back when I was doing the timing belt service and starter so that I didn't have to pull the front end once again and the accessory belt...

Regardless, on Friday morning I got into it and turned it on. I heard a brief grinding sound then the whine completely stopped and my power steering was gone. This along with a huge puddle of CHF-11s on the ground sealed my power steering pump's fate (I think). I haven't been able to get the car into the garage to pull anything apart yet because my house flooded recently as well and there are several appliances and basically everything else that was in the house furniture-wise during construction. I briefly looked under the car to see if one of the hoses may have ruptured but it's difficult to tell in the snow.

So, this brings me to my next question. I found a used power steering pump on eBay with the high pressure line attached to it for $80. I've had good success with the used starter I got a while back and wonder if it's worth spending the extra money to get a new/rebuilt one. The difference is a couple hundred bucks.... Anyone replace the pump before and have any tips? It seems pretty straight forward especially after becoming more familiar with things since the timing belt and water pump.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used pumps have worked ok for me too when new ones are too much and customer doesnt want to spend the money.