A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Potential owner looking for some answers :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you really gonna rebuild a transmission? seriously, thats a lot of technical work, I would just get a used transmission (like I did, even though I didn't need one) and then fix the stupid shaft seal or whatever caused the leak and sell the old one, well, if you really broke the old one, just scrap it.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinstincts
craigslist, ebay. the only 2 worthwile places to look.
people do list cars for more, but you can call them and you can obviously talk them down to reasonable prices.

a 2002-04 a6 4.2 for $6-8k are you serious, they are all over the place for $4-5k.
try searching google for sites that do entire state searches on craigslist or even the entire craigslist...

for the 2006+ A6 for around $10k I seen a couple on craigslist, and perhaps ebay, too bad ebay doesn't show much older complete auctions... but honestly, i dont like the interior colors for the tan leather package in the 2006+ models. thats why I didn't buy one. the 2006+ mercedes models have a much much nicer interior...

its all about patience when buying a car. you almost need to not Need/want the car until you find a good deal...
thanks. i've been scouring both, but living in the northeast (NJ), i think audis are inflated up here. i haven't been able to find too many 4.2s, let alone 2.7Ts for under 7k (heck, haven't seen that many 4.2s at all) - and i'm talking about cars in the 90-120k mileage range (looking for one with a timing belt already done).
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

about the timing belt, if I didn't know how to do the timing belt job myself and would be dependent on mechanics to do that kind of work, I wouldn't buy an audi unless the timing belt job was done by a dealer or has warranty or something.

There are countless stories here and everywhere that someones belt broke a couple miles after installed and their engines are toast.

Having the timing belt done recently should not effect your decision to buy the car. The MOST important things are how the interior and exterior looks, how the engine sounds and feels, and how the transmission shifts.

You will always be happier if your car looks good. The most expensive work on a car is changing an engine or transmission, everything else can be changed for a lot less if you diy or have a good mechanic friend/relationship...

ohh and seriously, any non dealer mechanic actually having the "right" tools to do a timing belt job on a Audi A6 would be very rare in my opinion. Do you see a stack of labeled cam lock bars and other specialized tools in shops? I haven't... I'm pretty sure they eye everything.

Last edited by badinstincts; 03-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

You would be surprised about some indy shops - we have one right here in my little town which is owned by a factory trained master tech who only works on VAG vehicles - he has or gets as needed every specialized tool you've ever seen or heard of...
Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

must be a good shop then, one of the VERY RARE cases. Like i said, most shops do not have the tools and do not get them, and they will EYE BALL EVERYTHING!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You broke the code. Bentley takes no responsibility for the data that Audi gives them and they mindlessly put into their manuals.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sorry to "hijack" the thread

but i am also looking at buying a 2001 Audi A6 4.2
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A6/K...howcpo=ShowCPO
this one in particular

it has 132xxxKM and asking price is $8995 CDN which seems like a very good deal

the vehicle has 2 owners and 1 minor accident in 2002 (repair cost under $4000).

the dealer has all the service records from the 2nd owner since 2006. based on what i saw, all the services were performed on time, including a $5000 service to replace timing belt and water pump at 99000km. (owners manual says that doesnt need to be replaced until 160000km..not sure why it was done early).

Other "problems" that were fixed includes a $2000 repair job at an audi dealership to replace a O2 sensor and a $1500 repair to fix a broken motor on the steer wheel adjuster.

the only problem that is not fixed is the cluster display that has a few dead pixles which makes the screen that displays the current fuel economoy and such not readable.

the other cars I am looking at includes a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T awd and a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S80...howcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/R...howcpo=ShowCPO

but they are both more expensive by about $2000 CDN.

in you guy;s opinion, should I "walk away" from the A6 and go for the newer A4 or S80....or is this a safe gamble given that it has all the service histories?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd run, not walk away from this deal. $5K to do a TB service? wow. BTW...you do realize this was a March 2012 thread, and a big one at that? Better to start a new thread on the subject than dredge up this old dog.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by skiiipi
sorry to "hijack" the thread

but i am also looking at buying a 2001 Audi A6 4.2
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A6/K...howcpo=ShowCPO
this one in particular

it has 132xxxKM and asking price is $8995 CDN which seems like a very good deal

the vehicle has 2 owners and 1 minor accident in 2002 (repair cost under $4000).

the dealer has all the service records from the 2nd owner since 2006. based on what i saw, all the services were performed on time, including a $5000 service to replace timing belt and water pump at 99000km. (owners manual says that doesnt need to be replaced until 160000km..not sure why it was done early).

Other "problems" that were fixed includes a $2000 repair job at an audi dealership to replace a O2 sensor and a $1500 repair to fix a broken motor on the steer wheel adjuster.

the only problem that is not fixed is the cluster display that has a few dead pixles which makes the screen that displays the current fuel economoy and such not readable.

the other cars I am looking at includes a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T awd and a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S80...howcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/R...howcpo=ShowCPO

but they are both more expensive by about $2000 CDN.

in you guy;s opinion, should I "walk away" from the A6 and go for the newer A4 or S80....or is this a safe gamble given that it has all the service histories?
Too much money for the A6. $6500 tops, 7000 if it's in absolute mint condition. But "minor" accident doesn't sound like it's mint. Do they have pictures? How do they know it's "minor"? Sounds like typical dealer BS.

The display is fixable.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I'd run, not walk away from this deal. $5K to do a TB service? wow. BTW...you do realize this was a March 2012 thread, and a big one at that? Better to start a new thread on the subject than dredge up this old dog.
thanks for the tip and thread started
TB service was done at a dealership.....hence the high prices

Quick Reply: Potential owner looking for some answers :)