A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

is it possible to glue chip to steering column

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it possible to glue chip to steering column

I understand the point behind adding an RFID chip to the key to prevent unauthorized starting of the car, but at some point it becomes a little rediculous.

I purchased a used a6 and only have one key. I bought a key online, had it cut, and the guy tried to program the rfid and said it's not a tp08, which is what the original had.

Is it possible to take out the little rfid chip and glue it to the steering column somehow so I can use any mechanical key. $350 a key from the dealer, for a car that's worth about 10K is just a little crazy. The key to USE the car costs 5% of the value of the car.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that is possible, but realize the coil that reads the chip is in the key mechanism itself, so you'd need to test carefully to find the right spot...
Was the guy doing the programming really familiar with these? I bought two keys new online, and made sure the RFID chip was the correct one for an 01 A6 C5. Once I had the proper Cluster PIN I easily programmed the car to them with my VAG-COM...
Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

My brother has the vag-com software (at least that's what I think he used on my car the other day) and it read everything on the car - if I have this pin number for my cluster, will I be able to do the same thing? Do you have any links or such that might aid me in completing this task?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, you must have the PIN to do it. It is stored in the Instrument cluster (which controls the immobilizer), which is a problem if your cluster has been replaced (the PIN is unique to the cluster). The PIN was originally printed on a tag attached to the keys that came with the car when new; sometimes a mechanic will have written it in the Maintenance book for your vehicle.
Even the dealer can't get it for you - they now connect the car right to the factory via the Internet to do the work, and the mechanic never sees the PIN, supposedly for security...
A good automotive locksmith can retrieve it with the right equipment - you might call around to see who in your area works on immobilizer keys. Once you have the PIN you can use the VAG-COM to program the car to the keys (they all have to be done at the same time, including the one you have now,)
Here's a good place to start:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer
Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slowguy
I understand the point behind adding an RFID chip to the key to prevent unauthorized starting of the car, but at some point it becomes a little rediculous.

I purchased a used a6 and only have one key. I bought a key online, had it cut, and the guy tried to program the rfid and said it's not a tp08, which is what the original had.

Is it possible to take out the little rfid chip and glue it to the steering column somehow so I can use any mechanical key. $350 a key from the dealer, for a car that's worth about 10K is just a little crazy. The key to USE the car costs 5% of the value of the car.
A few comments here:

1) Gluing the chip to the steering column will most likely not work, at least not reliably. The effective area for RFID transmission is VERY small, and focused on the area where the key is supposed to be. The "antenna" on the car side is actually a ring around the key hole.

2) Just buy the "switchblade" section of the key. It will not cost $350. I just bought a new, programmed key from Penske Audi, which is one of the most expensive dealerships I've ever dealt with, and it cost a little over $200, programmed and ready to go. If you just want a spare key, you're set. If you want the remote section (back half) too, find one on eBay and program it yourself.

3) Unless you have a 45k mile perfect '04 A6 with a 4.2, your car isn't worth anything close to $10k. Sorry, we're all in the same boat.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

its an 04 2.7t with 60k, and yes, it's immaculate.