A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

P0741 Code.....more comment than question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0741 Code.....more comment than question.

2001 A6 2.7T. 115K miles. Lots of posts on this little "Bad News" code. No torque converter clutch lockup. Mine showed up on a 9000 mile trip around the US. I know it's legit, because when I'm at highway speed, I can let off the throttle and the speedometer stays steady, but the tach RPM drops way down. If it was locked, they'd both stay steady. Also, under light acceleration, I can see the RPM rise before you feel any increase in speed. I found an indy transmission guy who rebuilds Tips in-house, but I'm having a heck of a time convincing him that a road test will not allow you to "feel" the problem. Resetting the code only keeps it off for a few seconds, then it comes right back, but not always with an accompanying CEL light. Based on what I read here, a rebuild is a necessity or I'll kill the tranny. Am I right, or will driving it that way be OK? Also, my average mileage went from about 21MPG down to 17 after the code started showing up.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

I am in the learning phase on this one as well, I just happened to notice the code when scanning after an alternator failure at 100,800 miles! Funny thing is that the dealer who did the alternator repair also did an oil change and did not comment on this code! I found it before taking the car in and did not clear it until after the service! I guess I was foolish to think they would take the three minutes to "scan all" to find any fault codes! You know preventive maintenance!?!?!?

I cleared the code to be able to determine if and when it comes back on again. Some one said it will trigger that code three times before the CEL will come on! So if I did not clear it how do you tell if it's happened the second time (the codes do not have a date or mileage stamp on them WTF)?

I'd like to catch it when it triggers the Second Time to be able to figure out a time line on failure.

There's a list of causes for this particular code but the failing TC is the most costly.

Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience thus far

2001 A6 2.7t 122k tiptronic.

I have had this check engine light (CEL) code intermittently as well. When I first got the car earlier this year, it showed up within the warranty period. The seller took the car to a transmission shop and had the transmission filter and fluid changed. The code disappeared for about 3 weeks, then came back on. I took it back to them, and they gave me the choice of credit towards another car from the lot, or replace the torque converter (TC) at 50:50 cost, or cash back. I took the cash back, and thought I would ride this one out, to see what happens. The car was driving fine.

So far I have put ~13k on the car in 8 months of moderate driving. The code comes on perhaps once every two weeks on average, sometimes much more frequently (I had a stretch where it came on once a day for 3 days), and sometimes less frequently. It will go off on its own over time (several starts) if I wait, but I usually reset it myself. The only driveability issues I have seen so far are:

When the code comes on, the RPMs do not match the speed, indicating that the TC is not locked. The next time I drive the car, even without resetting the code, the TC usually locks up on the highway just fine. It does not lock up as soon as I hit the highway though, sometimes it takes a mile or two, and usually happens when going down hill or when the engine is not under load.

Once in a while, when at highway speed and accellerating to pass, I can feel the TC 'let go' representing as a slight, very brief shudder, and then the rpms increase and the car accellerates more readily. I do not know if this is normal or not, but this does not cause the CEL to illuminate. Shortly after, the TC usually locks up again.

I have heard the gammut of advice on various message boards, from replace now to wait for driveability issues, to not worry about it. For now, I usually use the tip to downshift when passing or accellerating uphill to reduce the torque on the converter, and that typically keeps the code off entirely. Only when I forget to downshift during a pass or going up a hill does the code show up.

No real answers here, but I thought I would add to the greater conciousness.

John
Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sooo... what's the latest and greatest news or fix for this so far?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mrnitrous422
Sooo... what's the latest and greatest news or fix for this so far?
There isn't one! You can try and change your ATF as much as you'd like, but your torque converter is dead, no if ands or buts. I drove around for 6 months without issue before taking it to the shop and dropping $2,700 on the repair. I do pretty involved work on my own car but as far as transmission voodoo is involved, that's none of my business.

Happy spending!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default update

Coming up on one year and > 15, 000 miles and no change in the behavior of my car. Still get an occaisional 0741 code, clear it, and move on with my life. I will update if I have any more issues.

John
Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default another update

Coming up on 2 years and 28,000 miles since I bought the car. 0741 code keeps coming on intermittently, perhaps slightly more frequently. Car driveability is still good. I get occaisional shudders as I approach stops after highway speeds. Pretty sure it is the TC letting go at low speeds, but it is noticable.

The car is paid for, aging (142k), and in fair condition. I likely will continue to ride this one out. If I have a catastrophic failure, I will be sure to update. Not interested in a $1500 repair on a car I might be able to sell for $4000, and could have any of 3 other critical failures (turbo, transmission, timing belt) that would eclipse the value of the car. I love driving it, and look forward to as much time it will give me.

John E
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glad I did it...

I have put 20K miles on my car since I had the tranny rebuilt. I gave it a new paint job this summer and replaced the front O2 sensors and it runs like a dream. No code in many months and passed CA smog with flying colors. Averages 22+ MPG on trips according the the display. I'll keep it as long as I can.