A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 c5 left axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 c5 left axle

I need ti replace my left axle. Any suggestions on what manufacturer or place to order it? Plus i need to replace oxygen sensor also.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. There are only two quality chocies, aside from Audi/dealer:

1. raxles.com for complete, OEM quality half-shafts, or
2. Lobro joints, you do the work (messy, messy)

Most other sources suck. That's a technical term.

Grant
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 675 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Yes. There are only two quality chocies, aside from Audi/dealer:

1. raxles.com for complete, OEM quality half-shafts, or
2. Lobro joints, you do the work (messy, messy)

Most other sources suck. That's a technical term.

Grant
Call Marty at raxles on Monday and you will have a new complete axle on Wednesday. I have replaced both the left and right axles on my vehicle through raxles and my mechanic is always stunned at the quality of the part when he pulls it out of the box.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MLHG
I need ti replace my left axle. Any suggestions on what manufacturer or place to order it? Plus i need to replace oxygen sensor also.
What makes you say that? Usually only the outer rzeppa joint needs to be replaced....the inner tripod joints are almost unbreakable! And even the outer joints are pretty sturdy unless you run them for years in the mud with bad boots. Clicking, just replace the outer joint. It's maybe $85 plus a couple hours if it's your first job. If you own a C5, get a cvj boot clamp pliers....it will pay for itself the first cvj bootjob you do.

I got a spare joint from ECStuning
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the axle? Itself it is bulletproof unless you bend it, in which case there are bigger issues
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
What happened to the axle? Itself it is bulletproof unless you bend it, in which case there are bigger issues
There's a cut in the cv boot and the mechanic said its cheaper to replace the whole part.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
What makes you say that? Usually only the outer rzeppa joint needs to be replaced....the inner tripod joints are almost unbreakable! And even the outer joints are pretty sturdy unless you run them for years in the mud with bad boots. Clicking, just replace the outer joint. It's maybe $85 plus a couple hours if it's your first job. If you own a C5, get a cvj boot clamp pliers....it will pay for itself the first cvj bootjob you do.

Theres a tear in the cv boot cover. The mechanic said its cheaper on labor just replace the whole part.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
There's a cut in the cv boot and the mechanic said its cheaper to replace the whole part.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The mechanic is not being honest with you. I just got a kit for my A4 right front axle outer and it was $53 with shipping.

Partsgeek has yours for $18 Here's a link.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._boot_kit.html

The crimping tool is about $20 on ebay.

You do need a big hex wrench and a breaker bar for the axle bolt and some other minor tools to complete the job but it ain't rocket science.

If you don't do your own work I guess help the mechanic make his next boat payment.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 07-08-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Boy am I glad i saw this post. I have clicking on my front left only when turning. So the outer rebuild is pretty easy if you are mechanically inclined?

Quick Reply: A6 c5 left axle