A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

P0421 and Gas -- anyone had similar story?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0421 and Gas -- anyone had similar story?

I normally use Shell gas. Since I am owning the car for just under a year, the engine lights (P0421) came on two times, both after using a tank of non-Shell gas. The light came on the second or third time starting the car after Shell gas is added following the tank of non-Shell gas. The light goes away itself a few days later. When I first got the light, I was told the catalytic converter is problematic, and I changed the spark plugs as the first step towards a fix. I think my catalytic converter may at a critical point. But no panic to spend the money for a new cat in a hurry.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by a4avant99
I normally use Shell gas. Since I am owning the car for just under a year, the engine lights (P0421) came on two times, both after using a tank of non-Shell gas. The light came on the second or third time starting the car after Shell gas is added following the tank of non-Shell gas. The light goes away itself a few days later. When I first got the light, I was told the catalytic converter is problematic, and I changed the spark plugs as the first step towards a fix. I think my catalytic converter may at a critical point. But no panic to spend the money for a new cat in a hurry.
it could also be your sensros, everyone is so quick to damn the cats.

also i highly doubt it has anything to do with the gas you put in, that was just a lucky coincidence
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
it could also be your sensros, everyone is so quick to damn the cats.
On a 13 year old vehicle? It's the cat.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by a4avant99
No need to spend the money on a new cat. Assuming your O2 sensor is fine, you can just install a spacer for it, it'll make the CEL go away and you can still pass emissions.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
No need to spend the money on a new cat. Assuming your O2 sensor is fine, you can just install a spacer for it, it'll make the CEL go away and you can still pass emissions.
X2
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so instead of testing the sensors, which there are several tests in the vag-com program you can perform, we jump to the cat being dead based on its age?

that is preposterous, age has nothing to do with the cat being bad, now if he gave us mileage then yes we can correlate age and mileage to come up with a life expectancy for the cat.

test the sensors, im not saying the cat is fine, but i am saying to test what you can easily test to narrow things down before jumping to conclusions.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
so instead of testing the sensors, which there are several tests in the vag-com program you can perform, we jump to the cat being dead based on its age?

that is preposterous, age has nothing to do with the cat being bad, now if he gave us mileage then yes we can correlate age and mileage to come up with a life expectancy for the cat.

test the sensors, im not saying the cat is fine, but i am saying to test what you can easily test to narrow things down before jumping to conclusions.
Of course before replacing any part, one should be sure that it's broken. By all means run the tests.

There's nothing preposterous about my guess. A 13-yr old car has likely over 100K miles, and Audi warranties emissions equipment at 8 yrs/100K miles if I'm not mistaken.

My A6 cat failed at 130k, others had it come sooner.

Of course if it's just the sensor, then great, but I doubt it.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

your guess is based on normal usage, i will give you that.