A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

02 S6 Avant whining while heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 674 Likes on 488 Posts
Default 02 S6 Avant whining while heating

I have searched and narrowed my problem, I think to one of two issues. I am hoping that you can further help me isolate this.

I have a high pitched whining when my 02 S6 Avant is on auto heating. The whining comes from the passenger side, right, foot well approximately or somewhere that side in the dash. It can be eliminated by lowering the fan speed manually. It also stops while turning the car both left and right.

I think that the issue is one of two things.
1. The blower motor behind the glove compartment
2. The secondary air injection pump

The noise is constant and is not impacted by the engine RPM's. It also continues while the car is stopped and the engine is running with heat turned on. I have not noticed the noise while AC has been cooling. Again, the noise does stop during turns, however, starts back up when the car resumes its straight course.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

typically blower motor
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I have searched and narrowed my problem, I think to one of two issues. I am hoping that you can further help me isolate this.

I have a high pitched whining when my 02 S6 Avant is on auto heating. The whining comes from the passenger side, right, foot well approximately or somewhere that side in the dash. It can be eliminated by lowering the fan speed manually. It also stops while turning the car both left and right.

I think that the issue is one of two things.
1. The blower motor behind the glove compartment
2. The secondary air injection pump

The noise is constant and is not impacted by the engine RPM's. It also continues while the car is stopped and the engine is running with heat turned on. I have not noticed the noise while AC has been cooling. Again, the noise does stop during turns, however, starts back up when the car resumes its straight course.

Shut the entire ac system off when you hear the whine....if it stops the whine, it's the blower motor. Oh, yeah, you essentially did that by lowering the fan speed!

Removing the blower motor is hella easier than the SAI pump. You might even be able to rehab the blower motor (the whine is a worn or dry bearing).
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me
typically blower motor
Is this the correct part number I am looking for?

4B1820021B
Replacement blower motor
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Shut the entire ac system off when you hear the whine....if it stops the whine, it's the blower motor. Oh, yeah, you essentially did that by lowering the fan speed!

Removing the blower motor is hella easier than the SAI pump. You might even be able to rehab the blower motor (the whine is a worn or dry bearing).
Yes, the whine stops when you stop the AC. That is what I have to do when my wife is with me :-)
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the glove compartment off, access the blower motor, remove, re-lube, and reinstall. No need to buy anything new.

There's a video on Youtube floating around about squeeky blower motor.

Found it:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Save your $$

Easy job to remove, clean and oil the motor.
Had the same issue on our 01 back in 07, 30 minutes and two beers later no noise and as of today my daughter has not mentioned a thing about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
Easy job to remove, clean and oil the motor.
Had the same issue on our 01 back in 07, 30 minutes and two beers later no noise and as of today my daughter has not mentioned a thing about it.
Thanks for the pointers and video links. I pulled the glove box today and I'll pull the blower and re lube it this weekend. (I need to buy the T-25 and T-20 Torx)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good luck

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Thanks for the pointers and video links. I pulled the glove box today and I'll pull the blower and re lube it this weekend. (I need to buy the T-25 and T-20 Torx)
BTW don't forget the beer to!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is the culprit. I have pulled the glove box (very easy) and I'll pull the blower when I purchase my Torx set and beer.

Squeak goes away when I tap the motor housing.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 02 S6 Avant whining while heating