A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Newbie - Oil Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sludge, Sludge, Sludge

Thank you all for the help - I dropped the oil pan last night and with it came some of the missing oil. The drain hole had been partially obstructed, leading to only a tiny dribble of drainage coming out.

I then started poking at the drain holes I could find with a wire coat hanger, and as a reward got a face full of oil. So one mystery solved - part in the pan and part at the top of the engine and not draining properly. I have never ever seen something so badly sludged.

My plan at this point is to take off the valve covers and see what I can clean out from the top end - I am hoping to avoid head removal - although I once did it on an 86 Chevy, I think this might be beyond my tool set and skill set.

In any case, thank you for all of the helpful responses - it is really nice to see a forum with no trolls. I appreciate the time and effort you guys took to help me out.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

i have never used that sea foam stuff and i have read mixed reviews about it , but if there were to be a use for any type of oil system flush this would be it. You came dangerously close to oil starvation in my mind and you may actually have some damage. i would seriously be researching oil sludge and engine flushing before stating her up again.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airbag
i have never used that sea foam stuff and i have read mixed reviews about it , but if there were to be a use for any type of oil system flush this would be it. You came dangerously close to oil starvation in my mind and you may actually have some damage. i would seriously be researching oil sludge and engine flushing before stating her up again.
Our local Audi dealer has an additive that they recommend for sludge removal (mostly stocked because of the 1.8T sludge problems). I put a can in my 3.0 and had to change the filter after about a thousand miles. Only ran two thousand miles on that oil change - oil was absolutely filthy. I think it is an Audi/VW product. I agree with Airbag - do some research on that because Audi/VW have had some class action suits because of the sludge. I'd think the dealer might have some ideas. Another forum you might look at is bob is the oil guy. Google audi sludge removal and here is a sample link - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1170532. I would say that I agree with the posters that say it is not a good idea to try to eliminate the problem quickly. I'm not a big additive fan, but short oil change intervals with the Audi approved additive for awhile though in your case, the kerosene idea might have some merit since you have dislodged some major sludge pieces. There are probably more in there and you don't want them to dislodge in a chunk and clog a critical oil passage - like to a main or connecting rod bearing.

Glad you found the source.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kkaugars
Thank you all for the help - I dropped the oil pan last night and with it came some of the missing oil. The drain hole had been partially obstructed, leading to only a tiny dribble of drainage coming out.

I then started poking at the drain holes I could find with a wire coat hanger, and as a reward got a face full of oil. So one mystery solved - part in the pan and part at the top of the engine and not draining properly. I have never ever seen something so badly sludged.

My plan at this point is to take off the valve covers and see what I can clean out from the top end - I am hoping to avoid head removal - although I once did it on an 86 Chevy, I think this might be beyond my tool set and skill set.

In any case, thank you for all of the helpful responses - it is really nice to see a forum with no trolls. I appreciate the time and effort you guys took to help me out.
Oh, there may be one or two….but mostly they don't hang around on this old series.

Just make sure the oil pump pickup screen is clean….that sucker clogged will just kill the engine. I think once you get the drains cleaned and oil circulation restored the engine will likely clean itself out…you'll have to change the oil and filter in say 500 miles and drop the pan again in 2,000 unless the oil is clean at 2000. Use a good synthetic..the synthetic alone should have detergent qualities you don't need to use sea foam or other mouse milk on.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-04-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a lighter note, many years back while working in a gas station a guy brought his new Pontiac in for us to have a look see. He had just come from the dealer where they had done the first oil change (2500 miles get rid of the break in oil). The engine was misfiring, pumping out blue smoke like crazy (326 V8), and knocking badly. He told us all they did was change the oil. Pulled it in the bay and checked the oil - nothing on the dipstick but it felt kind of funny when I put it back in. The dipstick tube was normally attached to a little outcropping on the top of the block. Only this one came from the factory disconnected so the dipstick was just going down the side of the block. Kid at the dealer just kept putting in quarts of oil. We called their service dept and spoke with the manager. He counted 12 empty quarts next to the oil change bay. How that engine ever ran at all is beyond me.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Here's a fun video from Liqui Moly on their engine oil flush:
Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that was an ugly camshaft. Note- all my cars look shiny whenever i get in enough to see. For example, i put a deep sump on my track car over the winter. Looked absolutely like new.

So YMMV - if a car has been neglected, this is likely useful. If not, needless.

Happy 4th.

Grant