A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New owner: 2004 A6 Avant 3.0 Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I am back in need of some help.

I have a leak dripping directly from the front driver axle shaft, so am assuming that seal is bad...I found the write up for the swap and can def knock that job out, although I am not sure if it is leaking the front drive diff fluid or if its trans fluid. Also is the fill up for the front diff on the passenger side like it was thinking. I thought I found it. From what I understand, there is a seal between the front diff and the trans? Is it possible the two fluids could be mixing or does it sound like the axle shaft seal is just bad.
Any opinions would help. Also if anyone knows the best place to buy those seals and also the shaft boots my passenger side boot is torn. Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jomps
Hey everyone, I am back in need of some help.

I have a leak dripping directly from the front driver axle shaft, so am assuming that seal is bad...I found the write up for the swap and can def knock that job out, although I am not sure if it is leaking the front drive diff fluid or if its trans fluid. Also is the fill up for the front diff on the passenger side like it was thinking. I thought I found it. From what I understand, there is a seal between the front diff and the trans? Is it possible the two fluids could be mixing or does it sound like the axle shaft seal is just bad.
Any opinions would help. Also if anyone knows the best place to buy those seals and also the shaft boots my passenger side boot is torn. Thanks
Should be able to get the seals and the boots from ECS tuning.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Should be able to get the seals and the boots from ECS tuning.
yeah i just was looking there...also need to do the front control arm bushings soon and found those...but do you think it would typically just be the front drive gear oil leaking vs. tranny fluid?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it was def trans fluid leaking. the trans started shifting bad and i added some pentosin atf 1 after finally figuring out the vcds lite. still need to fix that trans leak and have done some research about it, but just need to tear into it here soon.
over the weekend the rains came and soaked my rear interior. today i rotated the tires and unclogged the rear sunroof drains. it rained again tonight and the rear headliner corners stayed dry so that seemed to do the trick. the front passenger sunroof drain is not clogged but still getting some water on the front floorboard. i already unclogged the drains under the battery so i am assuming i will need to access the drain tube and inspect the connectors.
also today i realized the rear washer was not working...after filling the washer resevoir (was draining rather quickly) i got lucky and noticed some fluid dripping down the driver footwell...pulled the interior footwell plastic, located the disconnected washer line, and connected it...tested the rear washer and it sprayed over the top of the hatch, lol. my wife and i had a kick out of it. i adjusted the nozzle with a needle and that is back in order.
still need to fix:
trans seal
lcd rebuild
control arm bushings
middle dif seal
valve cover gaskets
front passenger sunroof drain

also need:
new fluids in front and rear difs
windshield wipers
one rim (has small chunk out of it and out of balance bad), or new set of four with tires
fog light grille covers
would like:

tinted windows
thule feet and crossbars
new headliner (droops and stained in places from water leaks)
new front bumper (previous owner hit something and tore it up on the bottom)

this is the wife's car and i def caught the audi bug. just like the jeep xj it is love/hate but at the end of the day and something gets fixed its all good. i am even interested in a 99a4 quattro manual 1.9t but the buy here pay here place wants more than i could pay in the rough shape it looks. maybe a will take if for a test drive and haggle them down.