A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New owner: 2004 A6 Avant 3.0 Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
Pink(G12) coolant in the overflow tank, but it's leaking clear or light green fluid?

Do you have a photo of the area it's leaking from by any chance?

Does the color of the fluid leaking match the color of the fluid in the washer fluid reservoir, Or the power steering fluid reservoir?

The OEM power steering fluid is light green and the metal cooler lines for the power steering are located right in front of the radiator (well I'm referencing off of my 2.8, I assume that much is the same throughout the platform).

Regular washer fluid is blue in color and sometimes the headlight washers that are located to the left and right of the radiator can leak.

Make sure it's definitely the radiator that's leaking.
I see what your on to, I don't have a picture at the moment, but that would make sense if it was leaking power steering fluid... I am going to have to wait to tomorrow night to further investigate, if the power steering is leaking that may explain a random groan that happened a couple times... thanks man I will check again and post back
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Crawling under it this morning with a flash light allowed me to find the source of a leak, the bottom trans fluid connection at the radiator, looks like white fluid is seeping from there. What color should the trans fluid be?

The power steering fluid is green and looked like what was leaking but I didnt see anywhere that was leaking from at the power steering cooler. So I may have multiple leaks then...i need some ramps to get up under everything better because jack stands are a pain in my littke one car garage
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jomps
Crawling under it this morning with a flash light allowed me to find the source of a leak, the bottom trans fluid connection at the radiator, looks like white fluid is seeping from there. What color should the trans fluid be?

The power steering fluid is green and looked like what was leaking but I didnt see anywhere that was leaking from at the power steering cooler. So I may have multiple leaks then...i need some ramps to get up under everything better because jack stands are a pain in my littke one car garage
Hopefully someone can chime in with the correct absolute answer, but from some searching the OE fluid color should be yellow/gold to almost clear in color.

As far as "white" fluid.. I'm not really sure what that would be. Is it old dried fluid from the leak maybe?

BTW is your car Quattro or FWD? It's not really related to the issues, just something I'm wanting to know.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 10-29-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its an awd

The leak has dripped clearish brown, clear, and goldish green. I think your right about it drying into a clearish white, and it has been drying gold brown color on driveway. I will get pics up tonight
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the level for the green PS reservoir? Has it been drained/flushed before and any signs of overfill?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just looked briefly this morning before work and it was pretty full, I have no idea about it being flushed or filled, the po really couldnt tell me anything about the vehicles past as he said he had it for only 6 months, but the fluid in the ps tank looked alot like what was dripping. But maybe it is just the trans fluid..or maybe I have 2 leaks, we shall see
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2776385

States in a post there is a newer atf that is green. now when I looked at the leak this morning there was the white/clear fluid between plastic and metal fitting. could it be a leak at the o ring, or could it be an issue with the rad itself?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jomps
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2776385

States in a post there is a newer atf that is green. now when I looked at the leak this morning there was the white/clear fluid between plastic and metal fitting. could it be a leak at the o ring, or could it be an issue with the rad itself?
I can't say 100% because I haven't had any radiator issues(yet). But if the leak is at the connection, I would definitely lean towards it being an o-ring/seal rather than the radiator itself.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it is coolant that is leaking...it appears to be clear on a light background and light green on a dark background such as the black radiator...I looked over it more today after work and found it is leaking from the lower metal atf connection: BUT it is leaking from between the plastic and the metal. It looks like the trans fluid is not leaking at all. I am thinking that the po did mix some green coolant in and that is why I have seen green, clear and brownish fluid that leaked...now I need to find out if that metal outlet turns and tightens to an internal cooling line in the radiator...I don't see how it couldn't. it has to mate up some how and has to keep the coolant out of contact with the trans fluid.
I know that it is coolant because I can gently push up that lower trans line and some fluid will drip out...now all of today it has been completely clear when on my hand, but when I look up at the leak with a flashlight it is light green...I then decided to crack the drain **** on the radiator hose and coolant sprayed out...same exact fluid. this Saturday I should be able to get that lower trans line off and see if I can tighten the outlet and fix the leak then continue with a full coolant flush and g12 fill up. If I cant fix the leak then I will flush it with old radiator and order new, install and add g12. Either way I think I am on the right track. I think I am going to go ahead and order a new coolant overflow tank as I see a couple fractures in it and may as well replace that when adding the new fluid so I dont have to worry about it later. thanks all

pic shows the outlet: coolant is coming from between the plastic and metal piece. The outlet should spin to tighten on to internal piping correct?
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: did the coolant system flush.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-(the-easy-way)

After dumping the coolant on the 2nd or 3rd revolution, I disconnected the lower trans fluid line. The metal connection was able to turn counter clockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten. I was able to turn it another 1/3 of a turn. Got the trans line back on and kept flushing the coolant system another couple times.

After the coolant looked clear, I took off the old coolant expansion tank, and hooked up the new that came in the mail yesterday. I then added the pentosin pentofrost sf I bought earlier this week to the expansion tank. Had to empty one bottle, then drive around for a couple minutes to circulate it. Let the car cool down a bit, then popped the reservoir cap and added the second one. After driving around after the second one, I am showing a bit low on coolant so will add some distilled water, as the 3.0 holds 6 liters of coolant/water and is a 50/50 mix.

After 30 miles I am happy to report that my leak is fixed and my coolant looks as it should. Now, on to the next issue. I am leaking a red fluid from the gear box after the transmission. Its hitting the exhaust and smelling pretty bad. So am assuming this one is some type of seal...Any advice?

Quick Reply: New owner: 2004 A6 Avant 3.0 Need Help