A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission leak??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak??

Pulling out of the garage, I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor. I go to lift the car with my jack and.. surprise my jack bites the dust.. I reached under the car with my phone and took a snap of the origin of the leak.
Any suggestions on what needs to be replaced?
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by aca6c5
Pulling out of the garage, I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor. I go to lift the car with my jack and.. surprise my jack bites the dust.. I reached under the car with my phone and took a snap of the origin of the leak.
Any suggestions on what needs to be replaced?
funny color…I'd check for leaks at the back of the engine/camshaft half seal or valve cover gasket. Are you losing/using engine oil? It's tough to put UV dye in the trans but easy to put it in the engine oil….so put some dye in the engine oil and see if the stuff on the bottom of the bell housing shines under UV light after a few minutes and if not then in a day or so. If there's a LOT of lubricant on the floor you should be able to tell whether it's trans oil or engine oil by the low oil on your dipstick….

I thought the automatic trans oil was greenish, anyway.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
funny color…I'd check for leaks at the back of the engine/camshaft half seal or valve cover gasket. Are you losing/using engine oil? It's tough to put UV dye in the trans but easy to put it in the engine oil….so put some dye in the engine oil and see if the stuff on the bottom of the bell housing shines under UV light after a few minutes and if not then in a day or so. If there's a LOT of lubricant on the floor you should be able to tell whether it's trans oil or engine oil by the low oil on your dipstick….

I thought the automatic trans oil was greenish, anyway.
I wasnt 100% sure what color trans oil that audi uses. I took a shop towel to the leak location and it appeared to be oil.
I checked my dipstick a few days ago and I noticed that I was loosing oil, but I didnt make the connection, thinking that the car was just burning oil like usual..lol
Ill have to check the rear/cam seal to see if its leaking from there.

thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same leak but still have not found the culprit. Mine is bright orange, and my engine oil is dirty so deff don't think it's that