A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Car idles rough, usually dies after startup (I have VCDS codes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car idles rough, usually dies after startup (I have VCDS codes)

(2001 Audi A6 Avant, 2.8L ATQ)
When I startup in the morning, car cold, it dies a second or two after. If I feather the gas, it stays running, albeit roughly, un-burnt fuel smell and all.
After a minute or two, it normalizes and I drive it the rest of the day without issue. Problem seems to be getting worse though, and seems electrical in nature. This started one morning about a week ago.

Below are the engine fault codes when scanned by a VCDS: (no misfires)

3 Faults Found:
17801 - Ignition Coil Power Output 1
P1393 - 35-00 - Electrical Malfunction
17802 - Ignition Coil Power Output 2
P1394 - 35-00 - Electrical Malfunction
17803 - Ignition Coil Power Output 3
P1395 - 35-00 - Electrical Malfunction

I replaced the coil pack with a new Richporter Tech about 3 months ago. (One coil in the unit was bad and resulting in a acouple cyl. misfires). It should be noted that there are only 3 coils on this car since it uses a single coil pack unit with each coil giving output to 2 cylinders. All of them are indicating a fault. (OBDII will use the wording "primary/secondary circuit malfunction").
I have checked and confirmed using a 12v LED tester that the ECU is giving a trigger signal to each coil when cranking.
I checked readings on the ECU side of the 5 pin connector at the coil pack, (unplugged ofc) One anomaly I found was a resistance of 1.2 ohms between the blue power wire and the brown ground with car off. After cranking and testing the 3 smaller wires for trigger signal, the resistance was 7.6k ohm between blue power wire and ground, something more expected/typical.

I inspected wiring and see no visible damage. Wiring bundle to ECU seems fine.

Any suggestions for further isolating the issue? Why does it act up mostly when cold? Could a short to ground build up enough heat to raise the resistance and cut out the shortcircuiting until the car cools down again?
It would seem to NOT be the coil pack causing problems, correct?

I think I'm next going to clean grounds extra good, and if no success try cutting and rerouting the ground from off the 5 pin connector directly to ground near the battery, and remove the old one if possible to eliminate possible ground issues.

Any ideas or experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks