A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

need help.. getting screwed by mechanic.. long story.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you have no case against the owner. a tough one against the mechanic...

I guess it depends on how much different the car acts from when you brought it in until now. If it's so bad that your mechanic can testify how it was running before is drastically different than how it is now, you may have a case. Still tough to prove though.

The car is As Is so unless the owner lied to you about something or directly warrantied something, you have no case against them. IMHO I wouldn't even say he did anything wrong by not telling you he put used turbos on the car.

All of this legal "knowledge" comes from a slight addiction to TV judge shows so take it for what it's worth... JMHO
Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Fear the Miata!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no one....i guess you'll never know, you have no case against anyone but yourself

save your cash to repair your car....you have no case....period
Old 09-06-2008, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default the case would be against the org. mechanic not the org. owner.

i have all recepits for the original TC that was replaced. I also have some voicemails from the org. mechanic talking about him calling other tranny shops to find out what was wrong with my car (the same car he did the tranny work on). If he is the so called subject matter expert why is he outsourcing to "other tranny" shops to find out whats wrong?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default so being that i dropped the car off in running condition and now he was messing with...

the wastegate adjustments trying to fix the boost problem. But now the car barely runs at all.. I have no case?

I drove the car 1.5hours directly from my mechanic to his shop. Car ran good enough where no one could tell there was any problems. Drove through town and on the freeway, no limp mode, no CEL... now that he has been screwing with the wastegates he cant get it back to the condition I brought it to him in.

I have to have some kind of case.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What exectly is your complaint?

that he installed the used turbos that the customer requested?

that he replaced the TC?

not clear what he did wrong.

I do see that the history of this car is pretty bad, btu noen of it seems fraudulent. Unless you asked specifically about those repairs nad were misled.

Hope it works out.

G
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope.

but an attorney may get you something....but when you look at what the car costs, and what it might cost for legal help, will it be worth it? What's the value of the car? You might be looking at over $5,000 of repairs or more....is it worth it?

Speak with an attorney to get some real advice...we're just a bunch of hacks that stayed at an Holiday Inn Express last night.......
Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Speak to an attorney. You most certainly do have a case. I would not let this go one minute longer.

You have waited long enough.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Fear the Miata!

Default save your money and time....you have no case

you can't prove anything....your word against the mechanics, and since you failed to get any type of inspection done on the car before you bought it....you lose
Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree....but...

I think there is little to lose with a consultation and a letter from an attorney. That may get the mechanic to put it back together for little or nothing.

But overall, the options are pretty thin....
Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sad to say, no case here. Way too many loopholes. If it had gone back to the original mechanic

in the beginning, your chances would have been much improved. It will be a slam dunk for mech #1 to say that mech #2 messed it up, and you have no proof of otherwise.

Quick Reply: need help.. getting screwed by mechanic.. long story.