A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need help to diagnose shake (vibration) in the front end at 60m/h!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to diagnose shake (vibration) in the front end at 60m/h!

Hy,
just got the car (2004 2.7 t, 70k miles) like a week ago, i put new tires on (goodyear), did a front end alignment, took the car to the dealer for a recall and i had them inspected too, they sad everything checked OK besides the rear brake pads, which I had them replaced. This weekend we went on a trip like 1000 miles, i love the car how it drives, how it handles.
At like 60-65 m/h and higher there is a shake in the front end, the steering wheel shakes to a little bit, like the hole front of the car is vibrating, you put your hand on the dash and you can feel it. I thought it might be from tires because are brand new...
Also what is the normal idle rpm for the 2.7 engine and what is the oil temp suppose to be?
To me it seems like I have a little jump in the rpm at idle, I can see the needle bounce a bit (like 25-50 rpm) barely noticeable. What can be the cause for that?
Thank you!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Lost of info. search the forums
Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would swap wheels front to back to see if the problem is wheel/tire related. If the vibration changes, could be a bad rim(s), since tires are new. Another possibility is loose steering rack(one bolt from below and 2 from above accessed in plenum where battery is).

It is also possible that the propeller/drive shaft is out of balance.

Tie rod ends on the way out will make the slightest problem feel worse.

Oil temp normally gets close to 250, but I have never seen it higher on my car.

I think stock idle is around 800.

Idle hiccup?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by baubau2.7
Hy,
just got the car (2004 2.7 t, 70k miles) like a week ago, i put new tires on (goodyear), did a front end alignment, took the car to the dealer for a recall and i had them inspected too, they sad everything checked OK besides the rear brake pads, which I had them replaced. This weekend we went on a trip like 1000 miles, i love the car how it drives, how it handles.
At like 60-65 m/h and higher there is a shake in the front end, the steering wheel shakes to a little bit, like the hole front of the car is vibrating, you put your hand on the dash and you can feel it. I thought it might be from tires because are brand new...
Also what is the normal idle rpm for the 2.7 engine and what is the oil temp suppose to be?
To me it seems like I have a little jump in the rpm at idle, I can see the needle bounce a bit (like 25-50 rpm) barely noticeable. What can be the cause for that?
Thank you!
I bet you $100 e-bucks that the front end vibration it's just nothing more that a lousy job in the balancing of your tires.

I had the same issue in my 2.7 last week when I took it to get new rubber at NTB.
I had to bring it back for re-balancing and after the second time around the other tech did a much better job at balancing them. Zero vibrations as of right now.

As far as the RPM needle jump, could be a variety of things; vacum leak, sparkplugs, crappy gas etc... start small and work your way up to the more complex things.

You can always do an "Italian tune-up job"

Google it...
Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could be a bent wheel also that's what caused mine
Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Vibration

Concur...

In my case it was a combination of the above. My car has a bent wheel (damn potholes). I have the wheel fixed, it still vibrated badly. I got rid of the old tires, because the tire place wouldn't re-balance them since they were approaching 2/32. Got a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, still vibrated, but not as badly. Returned a more competent store to have them balanced and now it is 95% smooth now. The rest 5% is probably my imaginary thing, but I'm happy now.

I suggest you find a place with Hunter GSP 9700 balancer. They are supposes to be fantastic.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default drove it yesterday, seems like it makes the noise at 55m/h

Drove the car yesterday, and it seem more like a stumble from the engine, also I got crappy mileage on the highway, without driving crazy (like 21 mpg).
I don't have a check engine light on, so I don't know.
Do you guys know any INDY shop in South Jersey, I am at exit 63 of the GSP??
Any of the audi masters living in driving distance who might be able to help me?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

seems like alot of us had/has this problem.... I'm very curious myself...

had the same thing happening.... changed the rotors and tires checked front susp. all was good....
1st drive after that it was like a new car, drove without a vibration...... but here I am a couple months later and I feel it creeping back.....

while cruising on the hwy I'm feeling it again not as strong as before and not so much in the front now..... more in the seats this time.... but no doubt the same feeling as before.

Got my oil changed last week and my mechanic checked the front end and all is still tight....

but today I noticed a slight rumble coming from the rear and I'm pretty sure it a bad bearing......
wonder if a bad bearing could cause slight vibrations?

good luck
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agree. These cars are unreasonably fuzzy. But most techs don't fuss, either. in fact, I've found they don't know HOW to fuss. Step by step, watching the wheel spin - wheel true? Check. Tire seated flush? Check. Tread hop or squirm? Check. Balance to zero? Not close? Twice consecutively? Check.

Somehow when I go in the back and do it, it works so much better.

Keep in mind that with LP tires, i'd argue most cars have one or more bad rims. I've straigtened, oh, 15.

Grant