A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

need a diagram or pic for the oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a diagram or pic for the oil dipstick

anyone have a pic or a diagram of where the oil dipstick tube goes into the engine? I am wondering just how the dipstick tube is attached and sealed. I have a pretty good oil leak behind the alternator and wondering if this could be possibly from the dipstick? I am also trying to put together a list of possibilities so I can order parts. I can't pull the car apart and leave it sit for several days while I wait for parts, and I certainly don't want to do this job multiple times!!!
for those who have followed, I have a 98 A6 2.8 that was purchased with a busted tensioner pulley bolt. (T-belt was changed not long ago) I changed the tensioner, pulley and T-belt again, but not the seals. they all looked good and dry, but the alternator was covered in dirt and oil. this car sat for almost a year so no fresh oil anyplace.
now the car leaks badly but all I can see is oil from behind the alt. I pulled the belt covers, and heads are dry, everything I can see looks like whole engine is dry from top oil pan up. But I can't see behind the crank pulley without removing the front of the car! but no drippage from around the crank from underneath. I do see oil dripage from behind the alternator! just cant see a source.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if this can let your alternator wet, but here it goes:

1. Bolt for dipstick tube
◆ 25 Nm (18 ft lb)
2. Dipstick tube
◆ Replace O-ring
3. Oil pan (upper part)
◆ No gasket is installed between engine block and oil pan (upper part)
◆ Only use silicon sealant D 454 300 A2
4. Bolt
◆ M8
◆ 20 Nm (15 ft lb)
5. Bolt
◆ M6
◆ 15 Nm (11 ft lb)
6. Bolt
◆ M8
◆ 20 Nm (15 ft lb)
◆ Bolt is next to coolant drain plug
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't see that wetting the alternator, nor do I see a pan gasket leak as the problem. Both are lower than the alternator. I still think the leak is the cam seals or cam adjuster seal.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks that diagram helps, I think. that seems to be the general area I am leaking. the oil is behind the Alternator. I have confirmed it is not from the heads/Cams at all. everything up top is dry. I pulled the belt covers off and you can clearly see the passanger side head is clean and dry. but I can't get to or see behind the crank pulley or the alternator without removeing the front of the car and T-Belt. so this leaves I think 4 possible areas, 1 the crank seal, 2 the oil pump cover, 3 Dipstick tube or 4 upper oil pan.

their is no leakage bellow or around the crank pulley. I only get drippage from behind the alternator. so I do not believe the crank seal is leaking since I would assume oil would get flung all over and drippage would be worst around the crank pulley, Right?? But It could still be the oil pump housing??

I will probably have to order the seals for the dipstick tube, oil pump housing and crank seal if I remove the oil pump housing.

Or I suppose antifreeze is cheap I could pull the front end off and take a look then put it back and order parts
Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

from under the car it looks like it is the Upper Pan that leaks, the front corner which is behind the alternator you can see it but I tried everything from little mirrors lights etc.. just can't see enough to find the source, I can see the seam where the upper pan meets the block and about 1/2 inch of the block so not enough to tell if the oil comes from the seam or the block. the rest of the seam is clean and dry. their is about 1 inch between the alternator and the block and the angle and curves won't allow my hand to reach up their either.