A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

My transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My transmission

I have a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 and I have about 120,000 miles and for about a month out of nowhere my car has been slipping in and out of gear really rough at low speeds but is fine at high speeds. It's been bothering me but I couldn't figure out why it was doing it and then all of a sudden at a stop sign my car won't go into gear at all it runs but won't drive forward or in reverse so I know it's something to do with the transmission I'm just hoping that I don't need to replace the transmission. I'm hoping that if I change the transmission fluid and filter maybe that will fix the problem. I was hoping that someone else has had this problem and maybe they can tell me about their experience.

Thank you
Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any codes?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akreger76
I have a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 and I have about 120,000 miles and for about a month out of nowhere my car has been slipping in and out of gear really rough at low speeds but is fine at high speeds. It's been bothering me but I couldn't figure out why it was doing it and then all of a sudden at a stop sign my car won't go into gear at all it runs but won't drive forward or in reverse so I know it's something to do with the transmission I'm just hoping that I don't need to replace the transmission. I'm hoping that if I change the transmission fluid and filter maybe that will fix the problem. I was hoping that someone else has had this problem and maybe they can tell me about their experience.

Thank you
Did/do you drive hard (i.e. fast acceleration/braking etc.)?
Check Trans codes; Disconnect battery + for 10 mins; Most likely needs a trans drain/fill @ proper level. Disconnect battery to remove adaptation (not 100% sure, but I think that should work -doesn't hurt anyway). I think you can also reset it with vag-com -never did it and don't know exactly how.

First, do those before messing with adaptation.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something sad about posting transmissions issues on Christmas Day

I'm curious if a filter-change, drain, refill will fix this issue. I've seen several other posts saying it does.

My transmission has some "interesting" behavior occasionally, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the fluid level. I'm planning on doing a filter-change/drain/refill after the holidays.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)
...My transmission has some "interesting" behavior occasionally, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the fluid level...
Fluid level has lot to do with how your trans works. When you do fill it, make sure levels are good @ correct temp. I ordered the trans filter + oil kit with gasket from Blauparts for excellent price and don't have any issues. Not advertising/vouching for them; just sharing my experience.

If you go that route, just make sure to order 2 or 3 extra cans of oil, just in case. You'd be glad you did this (again, experience).
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)
Something sad about posting transmissions issues on Christmas Day

I'm curious if a filter-change, drain, refill will fix this issue. I've seen several other posts saying it does.

My transmission has some "interesting" behavior occasionally, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the fluid level. I'm planning on doing a filter-change/drain/refill after the holidays.
LOL--dysfunctional cars, dysfunctional families. Other people drive Lexus….no problems, but no soul.