A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Module Masters vs CheapABS.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Module Masters vs CheapABS.com

Hello -

I've read a number of positive posts about both, and I'm leaning towards CheapABS for a few reasons. First, I'm a little turned off by Module Masters.

Possibly it's just the lady that answers the phone, but I've called in a couple times with questions about the ABS rebuild and cluster LCD rebuild, and she's had what I could best describe as a "...annoyed you called..." sort of attitude, and the calls were over a year apart. So either she has a bad day every day, or terrible customer service.

The last time I called, I asked if there was a discount for having both my cluster repair and ABS repair done at the same time. The answer was a rather annoyed "...nope, but the shipping will be cheaper". Wow, thanks for passing on the "discount" from shipping two items in the same package.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on the customer service, but I have a hard time giving my business to someone who (on several occasions) doesn't appear to care if I give them my business or not.

Second, I did a lot of research in the common failure points for ABS modules, and everything I read and watched says that the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 failures are very similar (basically failed solder joints) and anything beyond failed solder joints generally deems the module as unrepairable.

So I was surprised to see that Module Masters charges $140 more for the 5.7 version, especially when there are other places online that will do it for much less. The CheapABS 5.7 rebuild is only $40 more (than the 5.3) , which seems much more reasonable after seeing how similar the repairs are (from videos online). Plus the guys at CheapABS seemed pretty honest and transparent about the complexity of their repairs in their FAQ (which matched my findings online).

So anyone have positive or negative experience with CheapABS? Any reason I shouldn't go with them?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)
Hello -

I've read a number of positive posts about both, and I'm leaning towards CheapABS for a few reasons. First, I'm a little turned off by Module Masters.

Possibly it's just the lady that answers the phone, but I've called in a couple times with questions about the ABS rebuild and cluster LCD rebuild, and she's had what I could best describe as a "...annoyed you called..." sort of attitude, and the calls were over a year apart. So either she has a bad day every day, or terrible customer service.

The last time I called, I asked if there was a discount for having both my cluster repair and ABS repair done at the same time. The answer was a rather annoyed "...nope, but the shipping will be cheaper". Wow, thanks for passing on the "discount" from shipping two items in the same package.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on the customer service, but I have a hard time giving my business to someone who (on several occasions) doesn't appear to care if I give them my business or not.

Second, I did a lot of research in the common failure points for ABS modules, and everything I read and watched says that the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 failures are very similar (basically failed solder joints) and anything beyond failed solder joints generally deems the module as unrepairable.

So I was surprised to see that Module Masters charges $140 more for the 5.7 version, especially when there are other places online that will do it for much less. The CheapABS 5.7 rebuild is only $40 more (than the 5.3) , which seems much more reasonable after seeing how similar the repairs are (from videos online). Plus the guys at CheapABS seemed pretty honest and transparent about the complexity of their repairs in their FAQ (which matched my findings online).

So anyone have positive or negative experience with CheapABS? Any reason I shouldn't go with them?

Thanks,
No experience but it sounds like you've already made your decision. You should own it.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are not calling some love hotline to get you off so, bad day or whatever, hell with them. If they can sell you quality part/service for the best price, consider the "attitude" is for your discount. Simple. I'd put up with simple bull**** on phone over paying $100 or more any given day.

Agree that they should be more courteous; not at the cost of my wallet.

does that help?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
You are not calling some love hotline to get you off so, bad day or whatever, hell with them. If they can sell you quality part/service for the best price, consider the "attitude" is for your discount. Simple. I'd put up with simple bull**** on phone over paying $100 or more any given day.

Agree that they should be more courteous; not at the cost of my wallet.

does that help?
All things being equal, money talks, BS walks….
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the replies on this guys. SloopJohnB, you are correct, my mind was already made up for the most part. This post was a final gut-check in case someone came back with a DON'T USE CHEAPABS.com, THEY'RE TERRIBLE sort of post

I'll report back the results once everything's done.