A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Minor Questions Tht may or may not have Been Asked.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Questions Tht may or may not have Been Asked.

Ok bought myself an Audi My Dream car since i was 10 lol. But it is Obvious that the previous like to curb check... so i have repainted the rims to fill in deep scrapes. now a few minor cosmetics remain.

1. Front bumper Cover. the screws on both sides next to wheels are completely busted so it hangs a little. is there an easy way to fix that without having to spend the $500 to get an all new Cover?

2. Headlights. Both sides are only connected by the top 2 brackets/clips do i absolutely have to remove the entire bumper to put in new headlights? they are Factory HID.

3. I'm going to do a lot of maintenance.. it is currently pushing 112k miles and I'm going to replace all the seals, timing belt, serpentine, etc. but its popping a DTC for the EGT sensor... how big of a PIMA is that going to be? aside from the $500 for the sensors themselves.

and 4. should i drain & Replace the brake Fluid ,ATF, And the Antifreeze?

Thanks in Advance for tips/Tricks, And Any links to DIY's would be greatly appreciated. I will Post some pics of the cosmetic damages tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'll give my thoughts...

Originally Posted by Anziil
1. Front bumper Cover. the screws on both sides next to wheels are completely busted so it hangs a little. is there an easy way to fix that without having to spend the $500 to get an all new Cover?

2. Headlights. Both sides are only connected by the top 2 brackets/clips do i absolutely have to remove the entire bumper to put in new headlights? they are Factory HID.

3. I'm going to do a lot of maintenance.. it is currently pushing 112k miles and I'm going to replace all the seals, timing belt, serpentine, etc. but its popping a DTC for the EGT sensor... how big of a PIMA is that going to be? aside from the $500 for the sensors themselves.

and 4. should i drain & Replace the brake Fluid ,ATF, And the Antifreeze?
1. If you are talking inside the wheel well, you are probably looking at where the bottom plastic undertray/skid plate attaches to the front bumper cover. Shouldn't be an issue as long as the other mounting hardware is present.

2. Yes, I'm reasonably sure you need to remove the front bumper cover to get the headlights out. As an alternative... you might try to re-finish the headlights if they are otherwise functional... 3M has a good kit that you use with a drill. Done mine twice in ~6 years with great results.

3. haven't done or heard of the process for replacing EGT sensors... if you have access to a shop manual (elsawin / bentley) that is your best bet (or search the c5 forum here)

4. Brake fluid, yes... ATF definitely + the trans filter... coolant, can't hurt but not as big of a concern if it looks clean (should be pink/purple not blue or green or brown) Also do a search here for the timing belt replacement... really need to do all the pieces while you are in there (idlers, tensioner/dampener etc) as it isn't typically the belt itself that leads to a failure.

What year / model / engine?
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NJA642
1. If you are talking inside the wheel well, you are probably looking at where the bottom plastic undertray/skid plate attaches to the front bumper cover. Shouldn't be an issue as long as the other mounting hardware is present.

2. Yes, I'm reasonably sure you need to remove the front bumper cover to get the headlights out. As an alternative... you might try to re-finish the headlights if they are otherwise functional... 3M has a good kit that you use with a drill. Done mine twice in ~6 years with great results.

3. haven't done or heard of the process for replacing EGT sensors... if you have access to a shop manual (elsawin / bentley) that is your best bet (or search the c5 forum here)

4. Brake fluid, yes... ATF definitely + the trans filter... coolant, can't hurt but not as big of a concern if it looks clean (should be pink/purple not blue or green or brown) Also do a search here for the timing belt replacement... really need to do all the pieces while you are in there (idlers, tensioner/dampener etc) as it isn't typically the belt itself that leads to a failure.

Headlight and EGT write-ups are in the tech section. Not sure why the lights need to come out, but I agree with Ian that cloudiness is not a reason to remove/replace.

Need more information to comment on the bumper. Maybe some pics.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4

Headlight and EGT write-ups are in the tech section. Not sure why the lights need to come out, but I agree with Ian that cloudiness is not a reason to remove/replace.

Need more information to comment on the bumper. Maybe some pics.
They're clear but when I drive they shake and shimmer and I already got the warning from highway patrol that they must be fixed. The assembly itself is busted.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bothe sides
Attached Images      
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NJA642

It's an 01 2.7T A6 and the brakek fluid looks horrid. Black and nasty. The coolant is bright pink looks brand new.y Bentley manual is very helpful .And I got the entire timmimg belt kit comes with the water pump and everything. I just can't find anything about the EGT but it's popping the engine codes.

P0442-Evap emissions small leak.

P1453-Exhaust gas tempature sensor open short to BT.

P1392- Cam shaft pos.Sensor Bank 2 Open circuit short.

P1602- Power Supply term 30 low voltage.
Do any of these codes mean the cars going to die? P1602 is supossedly from battery disconnection. And P0442 Could be as simple as a gas cap not to concerned there. The only 2 that concern me are *P1392 & P1453. I was told that those EGT sesnors go bad and it can fry your engine and turbos. Is that true?