A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 03:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Meyle vs Ocap vs Febi Control Arm Kits.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring back this thread from dead. I'm trying to decide between Meyle HD and Lemforder for my 2003 allroad. http://www.europaparts.com/control-a...-meyle-hd.html vs http://www.europaparts.com/control-a...r-genuine.html

Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Low risk/known: Lemforder
High risk/reward: Meyle HD

My OEM (Lemforder) stuff lasts ~80k miles. Do you need more than another 80k?

What's the risk worth?

All that said, i expect that many of the bad reports on aftermarket are people who do not install them correctly - correct means tightened at neutral ride height thus no pre-load on the rubber bushings.

That of course does not explain failed ball joints.

Grant
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for quick reply.
My allroad has 160K in harsh minnesota conditions. I went with Lemforder.

Originally Posted by Just Me
Low risk/known: Lemforder
High risk/reward: Meyle HD

My OEM (Lemforder) stuff lasts ~80k miles. Do you need more than another 80k?

What's the risk worth?

All that said, i expect that many of the bad reports on aftermarket are people who do not install them correctly - correct means tightened at neutral ride height thus no pre-load on the rubber bushings.

Grant
Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me

I agree completely on installation. Even professional shops get it wrong (just watch the FCP install videos - they really should have scrutinised that better before posting).
In fact wrong installation of all four arms can lift the front of the car on its suspension, meaning the inner bushes are taking more of the car's weight then designed which can only result in premature failure.

I quite like Meyle as a brand though (not just for suspension). Every Meyle component I've ever bought for either of my Audi's is still there doing it's job, I'm yet to have a failure (even of a CV boot).
Their quality is up there and I believe they offer pretty good bang for buck.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
I agree completely on installation. Even professional shops get it wrong (just watch the FCP install videos - they really should have scrutinised that better before posting).
In fact wrong installation of all four arms can lift the front of the car on its suspension, meaning the inner bushes are taking more of the car's weight then designed which can only result in premature failure.

I quite like Meyle as a brand though (not just for suspension). Every Meyle component I've ever bought for either of my Audi's is still there doing it's job, I'm yet to have a failure (even of a CV boot).
Their quality is up there and I believe they offer pretty good bang for buck.

FWIW, I installed a full Febi Kit obtained from German Auto Parts one year ago. I did upgrade the tie rod ends to the 'solid " type spec'd on the S6. It has no rubber bushing, and contributes to a more direct feel. I also installed new Boge shocks, strut bearings, bump stops, etc.
I have over 10k miles since installation and the kit works perfectly. No noise, no complaints. Perfect OEM ride.
I agree with others who state proper installation is key. You must only torque all bolts with the car at curb weight position. Failure to do this will over stress the rubber bushings and tear them up . Some of the installation videos online incorrectly show this not being done.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just installed Inner and Outer Tie Rod using the FCP Euro performance kit (without Rubber Dampening) https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...4-4b0419801gx2

Quick assessment: the casting looks good, joints were stiff and well lubricated. Outer boot is not a thick as OEM. Kit did not come with outer nuts and bolts. For $50 I couldn't pass. I may be replacing again in less than 20k miles. Only time will tell.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My indy shop said he has good feedback from customers that he installed Meyle HD's on.