A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 03:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Meyle vs Ocap vs Febi Control Arm Kits.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I would go with FCP Euro (Groton?)...their parts are guaranteed for life...as long as you own the car.
If you're doing your own suspension work the guarantee costs like $10 more...dunno if they have a kit.
They only guarantee them for life if they are installed by an ASE certified mechanic. Otherwise, if you DIY it's a 1 year guarantee.

I bought the 4 uppers on a group buy and they lasted just past the 1 year warranty and 15k miles. Both of the front ones are loose in the ball joint and making noise at low speed turns.

I decided to go with Dorman ones from Rock Auto because they are just as cheap and are actually lifetime warranty no matter who installs them. Plus, Rock Auto is very good in helping their customers with warranty claims. The only problem is Dorman doesn't make a lower front control arm that fits the aluminum uprights. I had to go with another brand for those two.

For <$400 you can order each arm seperately from RA along with TREs and sway bar links, and just pick up a bolt kit from ECS or FCPEuro.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ya know, we discuss this about every 2 months. What part of "most kits are crap" has been unclear? Seriously - replace using only OEM - (TRW, Lemfordrer) and replace only the parts that need replacement. If you use quality parts and install them properly, they tend to last 85-100k miles. Miss either and you are SOL in 20k miles.

The Meyle HD may be good. But its still more of a gamble than i would take.

I seriously doubt you need more than a few new parts - so i also dont think replacing a boatload will save you much money. It will only guarantee you grief.

Grant
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesm0913
They only guarantee them for life if they are installed by an ASE certified mechanic. Otherwise, if you DIY it's a 1 year guarantee.

I bought the 4 uppers on a group buy and they lasted just past the 1 year warranty and 15k miles. Both of the front ones are loose in the ball joint and making noise at low speed turns.

I decided to go with Dorman ones from Rock Auto because they are just as cheap and are actually lifetime warranty no matter who installs them. Plus, Rock Auto is very good in helping their customers with warranty claims. The only problem is Dorman doesn't make a lower front control arm that fits the aluminum uprights. I had to go with another brand for those two.

For <$400 you can order each arm seperately from RA along with TREs and sway bar links, and just pick up a bolt kit from ECS or FCPEuro.
I read it differently....
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KingHamer
Ah I see. Thank you for your input. Not sure what I will go with. I don't want to spend $1000 on control arms if I don't have to. Is Febi a reliable control arm (kit) to use on my 02 A6 2.7T?
Regardless of what parts from what manufacturer you decide to use make sure that you torque the bolts with the suspension at ride height.

I measured from the wheel well lip to the center of the wheel and then used a small jack to position the wheel at that height prior to torquing.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
Ya know, we discuss this about every 2 months. What part of "most kits are crap" has been unclear? Seriously - replace using only OEM - (TRW, Lemfordrer) and replace only the parts that need replacement. If you use quality parts and install them properly, they tend to last 85-100k miles. Miss either and you are SOL in 20k miles.

The Meyle HD may be good. But its still more of a gamble than i would take.

I seriously doubt you need more than a few new parts - so i also dont think replacing a boatload will save you much money. It will only guarantee you grief.

Grant
Where can you get the TRW or Lemfordrer control arms? Are those from the Audi dealer? Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

From Audi dealers you get audi-branded parts (yes, from one of those two).

Form myriad places you can get the Lemforderer or TRW after-market. Pelican parts, ECS, RPM auto, ...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg2.htm#item10

RPM - ask for Pat - 973.448-9440
(just a local foreign auto supply house i like to support)

Do a search. But get the quality parts, and replace only the ones that are worn.

Grant
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I read it differently....
Here is where the hide the fine print about the lifetime warranty. The last bullet point below Our Advantage.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/about-us
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesm0913
Here is where the hide the fine print about the lifetime warranty. The last bullet point below Our Advantage.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/about-us
Just got email from FCPEuro re 'Guaranteed For Life' Program...

John:

We just launched our new "Guaranteed for Life" program which gives a satisfaction guarantee on all of our parts for life. Below is a link that explains everything and does not require a surcharge. Any questions just give us a call at 1-877-634-0063.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Kind Regards,
{Mac@fcpeuro.com}
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got email from FCPEuro re 'Guaranteed For Life' Program...

John:

We just launched our new "Guaranteed for Life" program which gives a satisfaction guarantee on all of our parts for life. Below is a link that explains everything and does not require a surcharge. Any questions just give us a call at 1-877-634-0063.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Kind Regards,
{Mac@fcpeuro.com}
Yep, I found that too as the upper arm kit I bought from them is going south and I thought I could cash in on some free replacement parts. That's when the confessed that since I installed them myself, they were not warrantied for life but only the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no interest in lifetime warrantied parts that fail regularly anyway. $100 part; $250 (?) to install... not interested.

Grant

Quick Reply: Meyle vs Ocap vs Febi Control Arm Kits.