A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush Question

Hi Guys,

New to posting on the forum but have used it many times for DYI stuff. Thanks for all the postings and tech articles.

Quick question. Is there a comprehensive coolant flush tech article anywhere. I have a leaking water pump that needs replacement and I would like to do a full coolant flush at the same time.

Here is the rest of the story. Completed a timing belt replacement 16K ago. Timing belt, thermostat, & water pump were replaced. I never flushed the coolant system when this was done (just drained it). Long story short, I now have a waterpump leak. Unsure as to whether it is the pump or gasket. Was thinking about contacting Blauparts since they are the ones that I purchased the kit from. However, there are a bunch of articles on their timing belt replacement page warning of premature water pump failure if proper flushing is not completed.

Has anyone had any issues like this? Not too worried about buying another pump, it's just the time it takes to replace it.

Any info on coolant flushing and/or water pump issues would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know is the short answer, but my musings:

1. most likely causes would be simple infant mortality of the part; or something in the install that put side tension or hgih tension on it

2. i don't know why the lack of a flush would cause a problem.

3. That said, i don' totally get the word "flush". You should, of course, completely drain the coolant - but if the system is opened at the lowest point and at the top (expansion tank) and you are patient - that should happen.

I'll watch too to see what "BTDT" wisdom you get.

If you did not exchange all/most of the fluid last time i certainly would this time. The Ph balancers (selective buffers) and corrosion inhibitors deteriorate over time. And, of course, there is the issue of coolant compatibility. You did match whatever was in there to whatever you added, right? Note that many that are supposedly compatible (e.g.: GM' stuff) are, in reality, not.

G
Old 08-22-2011, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks G,

I haven't had time to get in there yet and discover the real location of the leak but was going by what my shop said. I did some more research and found some folks who have had the same issue I am having, appears to be the thermostat housing. I will know better this weekend.

As for the "flush" part. Blauparts and the Bentley suggest flushing the whole system. They then explain to drain the whole system, as you stated. Then they state to run distilled water through the system until it no longer drains pink. My question was how to ensure I flushed the whole system. I have since found my Bentley repair disk so I will be reviewing the process. I will be somewhat less concerned about the lack of flushing if it does turn out to be a cracked thermostat housing.

Thank you very much for your response.